Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What MTB repair book is THE BEST for photos & easy-to-follow instructions? Or would buying a couple be best? I don't have a laptop so watching videos while working isn't possible. Planning on building up a bike next year...

Thanks!

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Mel Allwoods was my first and I still use it from time to time. The book shows pretty much everything well except for suspension, which can get somewhat complicated.

I built a rear wheel using that book and it was my first wheel build. The wheel stayed true for two years and I assume it is still true as I sold the bike. It must be good. I have heard good things about the other two recommended though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think Zinn is the best all around maintenance book, but the last time I checked Zinn was dated and did not cover the components on my newer bikes. I use Mountain Bike Maintenance by Guy Andrews because it covers the components on my 07 GF HiFi. If they have updated Zinn, I would recommend that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The Zinn book has to be the best book out there right now for general shop use, but I would say that it only gets better when you augment it with the correct manuals for your specific equipment. Zinn teaches good habits and allows you to get a great overview of the way things work. Most importantly, it helps you learn how to figure out how NEW stuff works.

To the OP: The Zinn manual (along with component instruction manuals, if you've never setup the components before) will have everything you need to know to build a bike from the frame up. Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
^^ I agree completely. I was able to find most of the technical manual for the components on my bike online. If the Zinn manual covered everything in depth, it'd be too expensive and take up as many volumes as an encyclopedia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.