Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running Shimano thumb shifters on my H-bars. I'm running my bike as a 1x9 with no plans to change in the near future. It's time to replace my rear derailleur and I was wondering which way to go; rapid rise or regular?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
AlexJK said:
i think you also need a rapid rise shifter... i'd stick with the regular
makes no difference. i've run rapid rise with thumbies, rapid fire, and sram attack twisties. it's all the same. if the op wants rapid rise he can run it with any shimano compatible shifter. if the shifter has gear indicators that's the only thing that'll be wrong.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
wh1tesurly ss said:
Currently running Shimano thumb shifters on my H-bars. I'm running my bike as a 1x9 with no plans to change in the near future. It's time to replace my rear derailleur and I was wondering which way to go; rapid rise or regular?
if you want to run rapid rise you can, you just have to get used to the reverse shifting. with thumbies when you push the shifter counter-clockwise you'll go to a bigger gear and you'll have to push the shifter through the gears as the chain moves down the cassette.

if you go rapid rise with thumbies you can move the shifter all the way toward the stem (clockwise) and go from gear 9 (small cog) to gear 1 (big cog) in one shift. the derailleur will make the shift for you.

to go rapid rise or rapid fire (regular) is your choice. which way do you want the easier shift? towards granny (rapid rise) or to the tall gears (regular).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.