Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm in the process of tracking down another MTB. I'm looking to buy used and spend between $500-1000. I've had both softtail and hardtail, and I'm open to either. The riding I plan on doing will be XC mostly and including some street riding. I'm having a little trouble tracking down what are the really sweet deals are and what's over priced garbage. I mean I do have some shopping savvy, but I could definitely use more seasoned tips.

What I'm hoping you can provide is either tips on bikes and models that seemed to rise up to the top each year from say....... 2005 to 2010. Or if you know of some list or thread where this has been discussed and worked out, feel free to post it up.

Thanks for any and all help in this matter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This site has user review for almost every bike and component out there. You can also google the make & model and usually find expert/pro reviews. (I don't know of anything else that specifically addresses your question).

Every bike is different and every rider is unique. Most bikes will have fans, the key is finding what is best for YOU. Ride and try out as many different bikes as you can until you find what you're looking for.

A combination of Craigslist, bikepedia.com, and MTBR are your best resources. It takes time, patience and "doing your homework" to find a good deal on a good bike. Good deals come along, just not everyday. Watch CL as frequently as possible and do as much research as you can. You should be able to find a nice bike at 1/3 to 1/2 of the original MSRP. I'd start by looking at the major brands (Spec, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc) and the bikes that originally sold for $1000 - $2400.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.