Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Price on XTR Chain?

847 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jerome 
#1 ·
Blue Sky Cycling has them for $25 (sale ends today), but shipping and CA tax wreck it for me. Any other good prices?

#2 ·
Thats about the best price you'll get for a CN7701 chain...

I found the $40/MSRP SRAM PG-991 hollowpin chain lighter and good for two solid seasons of riding, before any sign of stretch show up.

#7 ·
louisssss said:
whats the KMC X9SL chain equivalent to in SRAM and Shimano?
SRAM = PC-991 hollowpin (264g @ 108 links)
Shimano = CN7701 HG (262g @ 108 links)

The KMC X9SL is LIGHTEST at 108 links (224g). SRAM PC-991 is stronger and lasts much longer, though. (2+ years on mine).

#8 ·
Zachariah said:
SRAM = PC-991 hollowpin (264g @ 108 links)
Shimano = CN7701 HG (262g @ 108 links)

The KMC X9SL is LIGHTEST at 108 links (224g). SRAM PC-991 is stronger and lasts much longer, though. (2+ years on mine).
That Shimano chain, does it follow the deore-XTR lineup?
if so, which class does it fall under?

The KMC is what came stock on my RH SL Pro, Just looking at options for replacement when it breaks.

#9 ·
louisssss said:
That Shimano chain, does it follow the deore-XTR lineup?
if so, which class does it fall under?

The KMC is what came stock on my RH SL Pro, Just looking at options for replacement when it breaks.
Its classified as a XTR-level chain...

#10 ·
Not Correct

Zachariah said:
SRAM PC-991 is stronger and lasts much longer, though. (2+ years on mine).
Incorrect, the pin pull strength of the KMC X9SL is 350 kgf while the SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin is 200 kgf. The KMC has 1.75x the strength of the SRAM in the area of almost every chain failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.