Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flipnidaho said:
does it have to be in this area? what about spectrum powderworks?
No... I don't have a problem sending it to a shop out of the area. Just want to make sure they do good work. Do you have experience with Spectrum?

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
jimi1114 said:
No... I don't have a problem sending it to a shop out of the area. Just want to make sure they do good work. Do you have experience with Spectrum?
no personal experience with spectrum (i had my Lua frame powdercoat by Western Powdercoaters locally for $40). but the next repaint I do will be with spectrum. check out their work:
http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
powdercoat

try Lynn Industries, in Garden City. Powdercoating, anodizing, just about anything you need done.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Then you might look into Olympic Powdercoating in Santa Ana, CA. Mark Cherry is the owner and had the contract for GT Bicycles when they were hugh, still powdercoats the Turners, and also does a lot of other projects, but they KNOW bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ditto on Lynn's in GC. I have had them do several of my bikes, including my current road bike. They do nice work. They might not have been the cheapest I found, but they were local, fast, and did nice work.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What are you getting coated, and what color?

My dad is the head engineer at manufacturing plant that has powdercoating...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DelTaco said:
What are you getting coated, and what color?

My dad is the head engineer at manufacturing plant that has powdercoating...
I am considering powder coating a set of Mavic 823s white. I am building an M3. The 888s have white lowers, the frame is British Racing Green, and someone, who will remain nameless, put this suggestion in my head that white wheels would be pretty sick with that set-up. I tend too agree. I would just as soon buy some white rims but I can't find a company that makes white UST DH/FR rims. Maybe I could be convinced to just go with some white Syncros wheels and run the Stans tubeless set-up, but I just don't know if that is wise, as good or as "effective" as running a true UST setup. Or maybe, I just don't know what the hell I am talking about. Now you all know "the rest of the story."

Any suggestions would be great.

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
UST blah blah blah

jimi1114 said:
I like the Syncros wheels but they are not UST. I am not sure if I can run a tubeless set-up with those wheels as effectively with a UST wheel... if that makes any sense.
From the Syncros website

Bead Lock System™: Freeride tires run at low pressure are prone to rotate on the rim, eventually tearing the valve stem rim and causing flats. The patented syncros Bead Lock
System™ prevents tire rotation on the rim, and is standard on DS 28 and DPS 32 rims.

I can't imagine that the powder coater you go with can paint a rim as good as Azonic or Syncros for a reasonable price.

Maybe the place in GC will let you prep the eyelets/bead surface and will be shooting a bunch of white a particular day and give it to you for a good price.

Spectrum doesn't even list rims on there website, gota think rims are fairly difficult.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
Dude, seriously, don't start falling into those trends where you want to sacrifice your parts for a certain color. That is just illogical. The only thing that I would do is go for the rims you want, and get them powdercoated, or leave them alone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ivan the Terrible said:
I'm nameless!:D
Just trying to protect the "innocent"... anyways, this is way to much work and I am going to just leave well enough alone. Although, I agree white wheels would be pretty hawt.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
It appears that you won't be painting them still, but here is just a company (out of town) that has some awesome paint jobs:

Dekerf Paintshop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Powdercoating

I just had my frame powdercoated at Coatings Plus in Garden City. They did a great job and they have hundreds of colors to choose from. Talk to Frank and tell him Chris sent you. The ph.# is 208-377-0900.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Sorry for bumping up this thread, but I have several questions....

1) So are we looking at under $50 to have a frame and fork done?

2) Do they sand off the old paint or just paint over it?

3) What are the downsides to just grabbing a spray can and doing it yourself (other than not looking too good)?

This all is related to my soon-to-be worked on SS downtown beater bike. I just want a solid color that doesn't scream "STEAL ME!!". Maybe pink to match my Giro Xen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts