Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a post ride recovery and maybe a during ride (for big days) drink to my routine. Mostly I'm looking for a quality post ride powder that works and has quality ingredients.

In a nutshell I don't feel like I fair as well over multiple big days as a younger version of myself did. If there's a product out there that can bridge the gap I want it. I'm a big and long time proponent of supplements. I could probably put something together myself but am sure there's good products out there and figure I'd pull the collective here rather than try to wade through all the advertising and such myself.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,407 Posts
Floyd's of Leadville recovery protein (with CBD/ treats me pretty well but I'm not sure about the qualify of ingredients. It contains lot's of whey and I haven't got around to researching the plusses and/or minuses of that.

Lots of good organic vegan mixes out there too, I'm trying one now (Four Sigmatic plant based protein) and the ingredients se top notch but it doesn't mix easily. Maybe I need a blender.

I'd look for one with high protein content.

·
Boom bap ambassador
1,001 Posts
I have had really good luck with Nuun, Hammer, and Skratch Labs hydration mixes during rides.

Post-ride I have been using Skratch recovery mix along with good old fashioned eating a bunch of protein (and fiber to counteract the protein if you catch my drift) and that has made a positive difference in recovery and being able to ride more at a higher intensity.

Basically takes recovery rides and makes them more fun than just slogging through them in the name of recovery.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I am out of my league here, and following this thread to learn.*

*That said, and FWIW, I am prone to severe bilateral hamstring cramping post ride (to the point of being brought to my knees and on the floor writhing in pain for up to 3 minutes until it passes). I have been able to manage this using Hammer Endurolytes Extreme, pre, infra and post.

I have always been a big Hammer Nutrition guy for everything, mostly because it works and does not upset my stomach. I sometimes use Hamer gel, Heed and Perpetuem infra). I also use Recoverite post on occasion but find I am generally fine without it except for massive successive rides. But the Endurolyte pills are mandatory for me, failing which I sometimes find myself in embarrassing situations in restaurants and the like.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you rolling after rides? I added it to my routine this year and can't believe how much better I feel the following ride.
No. Through the summer I do mid/low intensity road rides mid week which may accomplish the same, not sure. However, I do ice water soak (live in Oregon and the rivers are COLD) post big rides when given the chance. Anecdotally it does seem to make me feel much fresher after and the next day. I've come to really enjoy it actually.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am out of my league here, and following this thread to learn.*

*That said, and FWIW, I am prone to severe bilateral hamstring cramping post ride (to the point of being brought to my knees and on the floor writhing in pain for up to 3 minutes until it passes). I have been able to manage this using Hammer Endurolytes Extreme, pre, infra and post.

I have always been a big Hammer Nutrition guy for everything, mostly because it works and does not upset my stomach. I sometimes use Hamer gel, Heed and Perpetuem infra). I also use Recoverite post on occasion but find I am generally fine without it except for massive successive rides. But the Endurolyte pills are mandatory for me, failing which I sometimes find myself in embarrassing situations in restaurants and the like.
Some of the guys I ride with are prone to cramping when putting in the big miles....man does that seem miserable. I can honestly say I've never had a cramp in my life and feel quite fortunate for that.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Floyd's of Leadville recovery protein (with CBD/ treats me pretty well but I'm not sure about the qualify of ingredients. It contains lot's of whey and I haven't got around to researching the plusses and/or minuses of that.
I will occasionally vape CBD after big days if one of my buddies has a pen or tincture. It definitely relaxes my muscles and "takes the edge off" of the spun out feeling from over exertion. Not sure there's any tangible next day positive effect for me or not though.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Are you rolling after rides? I added it to my routine this year and can't believe how much better I feel the following ride.
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but can you please provide some details on this (PM me if more appropriate)?

Optimal window post ride? Duration? Target zone? Cadence? Perceived exertion?

I have a KICKR bike and would like to give this a go post ride.

Thanks.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but can you please provide some details on this (PM me if more appropriate)?

Optimal window post ride? Duration? Target zone? Cadence? Perceived exertion?

I have a KICKR bike and would like to give this a go post ride.

Thanks.
I probably should have been more specific. Rolling as in foam rolling or a rolling massager. Not using cycling rollers as a recovery tool, but I could see how some might do that.

I have both a foam roller and stick massager. Rolling really gets deep into your muscles. The stick massager helps when you have those really sore spots. I'm not an expert on the subject and anyone can correct me, I'd also suggest researching as there's always a right and wrong way to do these things.

I come home immediately after a ride drink coconut water to prevent cramps and spend 5 minutes rolling out all the leg muscles including glutes. It's really been so beneficial to me, by the time I've driven home I start feeling a little stiff, when I stand up from rolling I immediately feel loose and the tight muscles feel so much better.

·
Registered
19,407 Posts
I will occasionally vape CBD after big days if one of my buddies has a pen or tincture. It definitely relaxes my muscles and "takes the edge off" of the spun out feeling from over exertion. Not sure there's any tangible next day positive effect for me or not though.

Yeah I'm not sure how much of a bonus the CBD is but I figure it can't hurt any. For me post ride the most important things to consume immediately are calories, hydration, and protein and a quality powder mixed with soy, almond or oat milk is the best way I've found to do it. It doesn't replace my post-ride meal, it's just a pre post-ride meal.

I'm not sure about the need for electrolytes after a ride, I always thought they were more important during the ride. Also the science seems mixed as to whether they can help prevent cramps, some research concludes that it doesn't do anything to prevent them.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I probably should have been more specific. Rolling as in foam rolling or a rolling massager. Not using cycling rollers as a recovery tool, but I could see how some might do that.

I have both a foam roller and stick massager. Rolling really gets deep into your muscles. The stick massager helps when you have those really sore spots. I'm not an expert on the subject and anyone can correct me, I'd also suggest researching as there's always a right and wrong way to do these things.

I come home immediately after a ride drink coconut water to prevent cramps and spend 5 minutes rolling out all the leg muscles including glutes. It's really been so beneficial to me, by the time I've driven home I start feeling a little stiff, when I stand up from rolling I immediately feel loose and the tight muscles feel so much better.
Hilarious. I was looking for 3 funny pics to post - a fattie, bike rollers and a foam roller, and was going to ask you what type of rolling you were referring to. I took a guess and lost.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do use a foam roller, mainly on my back. Like most things though I tend to use it reactively versus proactively.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.