Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think are some of the best locations and what would you say are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have lived in many parts of the US. Right now, in the area you descibe.
We live in a city area that was great, and has become watered down-too many people moved here. We would rather have them go elsewhere.
Moving expenses are high. It's your money. Spend to your liking.
Make a list of what's important to you for the residence and area.. Stick to it. Ask questions relative to it. At the beginning for us, biking was good. Not so much now.
Do a road trip to where you might like. Stay a few days and do a "test ride" of the location. I.e. evaluate the traffic patterns all times of the day.
You gonna stay awhile or move again, is a question to ask yourself.

Cheers

·
No known cure
4,063 Posts
Depends. Are you on the dole, or do you work for a living? We can narrow it down from there.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Agreed, the lower half includes SoCal, the Southwest, Texas, the Deep South, and Florida. All of those are different from each other.

Whats best for me and my family may be very different than what you want for yours. I'm personally love it here in the Phoenix Burbs. Pros include lots of youth sports for my kids, easy access to the outdoors, safe neighborhoods, affordable cost of living. Cons, the schools aren't highly rated, its hot so kids are inside much of the summer, its spread out here, you need to drive to about anywhere you want to go unlike a small town.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't have kids so I can't comment on that aspect. a lot of people like Austin, Texas. endless miles of singletrack to ride here. however, the summers are brutal and the real estate market is tough. I am considering moving to the pacific northwest for a change of scenery as there's not a whole lot keeping me anchored here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I work remotely so have flexibility in that regard. "Lower half" is mainly for the climate as I prefer warm weather and the sun. The question is meant to be a bit vague because I wanted to see what other people like and why. I think I'd prefer to either live in NC or CA. I've lived in both and would prefer CA if it wasn't for the huge cost premium for the most desirable areas. But maybe I'll get back there. Also think I'd like the Southwest and CO too (I've traveled to both), but not sure if I'd like it as much as NC or CA.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
Some place next to a lot of trails and public land where you don't have to travel far to hit the good stuff.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,798 Posts
Thanks all. I work remotely so have flexibility in that regard. "Lower half" is mainly for the climate as I prefer warm weather and the sun. The question is meant to be a bit vague because I wanted to see what other people like and why. I think I'd prefer to either live in NC or CA. I've lived in both and would prefer CA if it wasn't for the huge cost premium for the most desirable areas. But maybe I'll get back there. Also think I'd like the Southwest and CO too (I've traveled to both), but not sure if I'd like it as much as NC or CA.
Think very, very hard about this, as you're looking to engage in a broader covid trend of people moving with their remote jobs. These folks are specifically targeting smaller cities so they can get out of big cities, and it's driving the housing market up, even now. These smaller cities are seeing rapid growth and pressure and there are definitely growing pains involved with it.

I moved to NC a few years ago, and since covid hit, our housing prices here have actually jumped because of all the people seeking to move here. Especially from bigger cities up north like NYC. It's enough of a thing that it's driving the market up in smaller cities and towns further afield as people try to find something affordable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When was the last time you were in CA? Every time I have to go visit I am shocked by the amount of trash at the intersections and the perpetual encampments along much of the highways. Some people love it there and I don’t want to denigrate their enjoyment, but I personally can’t overlook the taxes, crowding and filth.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I don't have kids so I can't comment on that aspect. a lot of people like Austin, Texas. endless miles of singletrack to ride here. however, the summers are brutal and the real estate market is tough. I am considering moving to the pacific northwest for a change of scenery as there's not a whole lot keeping me anchored here.
Really? If you make the move, let me know and I'll show you around.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Same question from me. I'd start a new thread but I'm afraid of Sparty getting pissed at me. Some things to consider: I may be going into the witness protection program and/or potentially faking my own death. I have an incapacitating fear of of squirrels and I'm not afraid to sing for my food. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When was the last time you were in CA? Every time I have to go visit I am shocked by the amount of trash at the intersections and the perpetual encampments along much of the highways. Some people love it there and I don’t want to denigrate their enjoyment, but I personally can’t overlook the taxes, crowding and filth.
I was there 1 1/2 years ago and lived there 8 years ago. One of my bigger concerns would be the wildfires. We have some family in the Bay Area and they said it was pretty miserable in the summer when the fires were bad.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My wife and I packed up our stuff and moved from the Midwest to Arizona a year ago. Most life changing thing that's ever happened for me, being a big outdoors person. When we were narrowing down places to live the Research Triangle area was my first choice, with Phoenix being my wife's first. She really hates winter and never wanted to have to deal with it again, while I personally don't mind a mild 4 season place. I traveled to NC a lot for work and really fell in love with it, thinking Raleigh would be the perfect place for us. A few hours from Asheville, a few hours from the beach.

In hindsight I am glad my wife pushed for AZ. Its incredible out here and I am within 8 hours drive of literally anything I could ever want to do. Beach, mountains, incredible winter weather with a short drive to incredible summer weather. People complain about the heat here, but for a lowly transplant myself it's been really life changing. I am a completely different person since moving here. Having lived through my first full winter here, I think you'd have to drag me away kicking and screaming.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What cities are you visiting? Are you also shocked at the filth aka endless amount of trash bags all over Manhattan? I consider NYC one of the best cities in the world.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,996 Posts
Are you one of those people that think the only places to live in CA are SF and LA?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts