Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a gopro hero wide angle camera and am mclovin it! I just had it mounted on top of my Giro remedy, but it was hard to get the angle i wanted from there. (the visor blocked too much of the shot, and i want to be able to see the front wheel) So, i was thinking about mounting it under the visor. i think i could get the angle i want, and it would be more protected.
Where have you guys found the best spot to mount your cameras?
Oh, and its not attached in the picture, just sitting there for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why even have the visor on then? It doesn't look like it would do much good blocking light, and if you crash it's going to tear right off. Can you side mount it and then just angle it down to how you'd like?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I hate chest-mount videos. Your head/neck has the ability to act almost like a shock absorber itself, getting rid of the small bumps that plauge chest-mounted videos. I also like head-mounts for DH because you can see where/what they're eyeing up, where as chest mount is just straight forward.

As for being afraid of breaking it, you shouldn't have gotten a video camera made to record action sports if you were afraid of using it during those activities. Sorry, but it might break. They try and design it to be burly and tough, but if you go down in a rock garden, there's no promises it's going to make it regardless of where it's mounted.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I gotta concur on the chest mount advice. I have a VIO POV and wish they made a chest mount for it. I really like the perspective it gives you of the riders hands and the bikes stem bar looking down the trail.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
has anyone mounted a cam on the chin or mouth piece part of the helmet...it seems like that would give the best pov movie of a trailride...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
adamantane said:
has anyone mounted a cam on the chin or mouth piece part of the helmet...it seems like that would give the best pov movie of a trailride...
Yes, I did. Used electrical tape on a regular Canon Elph. Worked fine.

However, chest mount is the best way to go for me. In a video, one of the hardest things is to make it look like you are going fast and doing crazy stuff. Most things look about 1/2 the size on video, compared to real life. The chest mount gets closest to reality...by about 60% instead of 50%, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i used the elasticated mount that fits over your head without a helmet and romeved the piece going over the top of your head then simply slide over helmet like you would with your goggles and position the camera on the front of the chin piece you will need to pack out the back of the camera so it sits securly but works really well you can check the vids out on you tube under huddesfielddh you can also mount it facing backwords if you adjust the angle so its all the way open hope this helps and makes sense

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
thanks for that idea...yeah, i am looking for something like that...i have an old moto helmet...i am gonna play around with some idea...i want the camera completley locked down on the helmet, so i will get out the drill and figure out how to attach the base real good...i am at work now so i cant look at your youtube clips, but do you get your arms in the movie? maybe also the end of your helmet visor...i had scene some photo where both of that was in the movie and it just felt like i was in the drivers seat...seeing movies with the cam on top of the helmet just is not very exciting...like somebody strung a wire above the whole trail and zipped a camera down it...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.