Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 diamondback catch and have some dents/cracks on the rim. Looking to get a whole new wheel, prob about time for tires also i guess.

How do i determine what size will fit? i took the thru axle out and it says OLD: 148mm.

Should I just replace the rear?
Where is a good place to shop for an economy wheel?

Thanks,
dave

·
Registered
727 Posts
Colorado cyclist has some good sales from time to time. Also performance bike has low cost wheels. The issue is you get what you pay for.

Here in Denver we have Facebook groups for gear swap/sale. There are always wheels on those.

If the hub is still in good order, you could just buy a rim and reuse the hub. That would be the cheapest. The rim doesn't cost much. It's the hub pushes the price up. @mikesee offers this service and I'm sure a local shop would too.

If the rim is still working, I would save the money and put it towards a new bike.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got a replacement rear 27.5+ wheel from Colorado Cyclist -- their site was pretty easy to order what I wanted and it shipped well packed and undamaged. Build quality is top notch, and they even taped it for tubeless. I went for a complete wheel because the stock hub on my bike was not so nice... you could always call them to make sure you get what you need to fit correctly.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,660 Posts
Our very own contributor Mikesee builds very nice wheels. Msg him here or at his website: https://www.lacemine29.com/
He's built some for me, very good quality & great prices as well.

I've also had luck with some of the UK shops (sometimes they have smoking deals on pre-built wheels)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.