Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be there for 3 days end of next week.
I searched here and found the shops but I'm not sure which shops are in close proximity to some nice trails.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Scotts Valley Cycle Sport. Get the bike and hit Santa Cruz trails very nearby. Shop should be able to direct you, or you can request a guide on this board. You may luck out if you give enough of a heads up on the exact date/time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. Not really sure but probably north of San Fran like Pt Reyes but we can go south too if we like. This is very impromptu spur of the moment short trip so anything goes.

Flying into San Fran airport Wed afternoon and flying out Saturday morning ; haven't even booked a place to stay. Meeting my non-mtn biking g/f who will have her Jeep there.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
How about Santa Cruz? If it is not too far....

You can go to Santa Cruz factory and demo their bikes. Small fee applies and reservation will be nice.

Amazing trail just a few miles away.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Santa Cruz is your best option, but if too far from where you are staying, then go rent a bike from Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax and pedal to Camp Tamarancho - Sunshine has really nice bikes

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
With good trails nearby - Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont. Waterdog has a nice variety of riding for a small park.

Trail does demo at Santa Teresa. Rocky ridge makes for a great test loop.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Yep, Santa Cruz if you can swing it (with a guide); Tamo if you can't.

Another option would be Skeggs/El Corte de Madera to get some quality redwood time and some fun/flowy singletrack. But check routes carefully so you're not climbing all day. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are awesome. Thanks. I've been lurking on this site for a long time and I appreciate your input. If I can ever reciprocate I'm happy too.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
If you want to go north ,there's a shop in Novato that rents ,don't remenber the name . You could ride China Camp. Or farther north is Annendale in Santa Rosa ,Cambria may still rent bikes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Santa Cruz no question.

Santa Cruz Bikes factory is at the base of UCSC and Wilder Ranch - fantastic riding. Also nearby is Epicenter Cycling (on Mission) and they demo. I also think Another Bike Shop has demos (anyone?) - it's right there too. And don't know if Ibis has a factory demo program but their HQ is a couple of blocks away from there as well.

The other Epicenter shop in Aptos has demos and puts you at the bottom of Nisene Marks park, which leads up to Demonstration Forest. And from there you can even hook a ride with Shuttle Smith Adventures to the top of Nisene / Demo (which saves you 2300' climbing on the front end, so you can ride Demo, climb the 2000' out and back to the top then bomb about 9 miles back down to Aptos). Dave Smith will also give you a tour too - costs about the same as 2 or 3 people riding to the top.

Last, the Scotts Valley Cycle Sport demo program is great and they are indeed about one mile (max) from Henry Cowell, which links up into the UCSC / Wilder Ranch areas.

Can't go wrong. Watch out for poison oak right now though - it's in full bloom everywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts