Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the top recommendations for good places to buy a high quality used mountain bike? I am looking for one that is last season or possibly the season before, full suspension (etc etc). I have looked at Pinkbike and Craigslist... and am checking out shops for demo bikes, but this isn't a great time of year unfortunately. Any other suggestions?

thanks much!
Julie

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Living in the Pnw I use PNWclassifieds on FB which I'd put quite few notches above pinkeye even. So check your local FB bike clubs for something similar. I've dealt with zero flakes on there, zero BS, and lots of my dealings on have been local. I'd also check eBay.

·
Norðwegr
1,910 Posts
The Pro's Closet have some used bikes for sale, they're all checked by their shop mechanics, they have an ebay store and a website.

Other than that there's pinkbike, just use common sense about the seller. You can usually quickly tell from the listing wether or not something is up.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ebay for the selection, Craigslist for the prices. I bought a bike on Ebay and have bought a lot of parts from Craigslist.

Pinkbike is worth checking out, I've never bought anything there because not many people here use it and the ones that do are out of their minds when it comes to prices. Depending on area it can be better or worse than Craigslist.

Ebay has total buyer protection so theres no risk with that other than a possible headache. Sending thousands to someone on Pinkbike is way too much risk for me, I know Paypal has certain kinds of buyer protection but since you arent dealing with a proper Ebay listing you have to make sure everything is done properly, I dont know enough about Paypal to mess with that.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The mountain bike world really needs a better classifieds site, eBay charges ridiculous amounts (10%!) for sellers and makes it impossible to get your values worth as a seller or buyer.

The Pinkbike Buy/Sell page is your best bet, but it's kindof janky and could use better features (like an improved search, more detailed listing options (e.g. hub spacing), etc).

MTBR has a few listed here, but not many.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you're looking for something specific, you can setup a saved search on The Pro's Closet website and get an email anytime a new bike gets added. And as someone already said, every bike is inspected and serviced by a mechanic and has 30 days no questions asked returns.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you're looking for something specific, you can setup a saved search on The Pro's Closet website and get an email anytime a new bike gets added. And as someone already said, every bike is inspected and serviced by a mechanic and has 30 days no questions asked returns.
I have purchased many parts from The Pro's Closet off e-bay over the years and they are a great seller. They *definitely* charge for their service though - their bike prices are not cheap. But the guaranteed buy back is interesting, and their website is much nicer to use than any of the other ones I have seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.