Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a build in mind. Hope Pro II single speed rear, Hope Pro II front hub, DT Competition spokes and alloy nipples laced to Stans Arch rims. Speedgoat and Universalcycles has some good prices on the build up. Who else should I be considering?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had ordered a set of wheels from universal cycles Tuesday . They had the best price and they say that the person building up the wheels does about five wheels a day , so he should be pretty good at it . I will be testing the next saturday .

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wheel Builders

I've had great experiences with Colorado Cyclist. I have a pair of Stan's 355 29er wheels with DT hubs that they built-up and they were built extremely well. I have ordered 3 different wheelsets over the years and they all have been extremely well-built with even tension. It's amazing but I never have to true the 29er wheels mentioned above even though they are very light and they're used for general duty of a full suspension 29er that gets ridden hard. All their wheelbuilders have 10 to 20 years of experience and it shows!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I had a pair of Surly Hubs laced to Deep Vs built by Universal. It took a few weeks but they're pretty good. No problems since I got them in April. MC makes good wheels, but he's overpriced in my opinion. For higher end stuff I'd definitely go with him, but nothing seems too complicated with your build.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had some wheels built last year, Arches on DT240s. I shopped 5 different wheelbuilders and was very surprised at the range of prices. There was a spread of $300 between highest and lowest. The builder I chose was Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos. Great price, great build quality IMO.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Another

I heard Larry at Mtn High Cyclery is good too!

I'll probably get him or M. Garcia (local) for my fall wheelbuild.

A local rider just got a new 26" wheelset from CC, best price he could find and he is really happy with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you considered Neil at Cyclemonkey.com? This guy gives the most meticulous explanations and advice on wheels and just about any other aspect of cycling equipment that I've ever encountered, even prior to plunking down money. He's also remarkably prompt with delivery. Neil's the guy who designed a refinement for the Rohloff Speedbone called the Monkeybone, but he also appears to be a superb wheel-builder. I don't think you can go wrong with him.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dave. said:
...........Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos. Great price, great build quality IMO.
Defitely agree. I have been a loyal of customer of Mike for a few years now. (he's currently building me my 3rd wheelset i have purchased from him)
Terrific customer service, fantastic prices, great builds... http://www.oddsandendos.com

He has always taken care of me. In March of '07 I called Mike after I bailed hard and taco'd the front wheel on the first wheelset he built for me. I shipped Mike the Hope hub and he built me a brand new wheel (new VXC rim with new Supercomps) for $62 shipped!! That is labor + parts + shipping. I was expecting to pay a lot more, so I was shocked when he told me what it would cost.

I'm sure the other mail order builders such as Mike C or Larry at Mtn High (I buy many of my parts from Larry...great guy/customer service as well) build some sweet wheels as well, but Mike Garcia has me as a loyal customer on wheels.

Thanks,
MSH

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Mike Curiak www.lacemine29.com (mikesee here on MTBR) Hope Pro II / Arches / DT / alloy nippies. Still perfectly true. Better price than other places I shopped back when I got them.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Tbone said:
Universal Cycles builds a good wheel. I just got my Flows from them and its a STOUT build. Very solid.
+2. My Hope/Flow combo was built by Universal - no problems. I just bought a second set of Flows laced to Kings - this set, one time used, built by Mike C - will be able to compare the two, though I have high expectations on the Mike C set based on his reputation as wheel builder here. Can't go wrong with the Universal build though.

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
BOHICA said:
Have you considered Neil at Cyclemonkey.com? This guy gives the most meticulous explanations and advice on wheels and just about any other aspect of cycling equipment that I've ever encountered, even prior to plunking down money. He's also remarkably prompt with delivery. Neil's the guy who designed a refinement for the Rohloff Speedbone called the Monkeybone, but he also appears to be a superb wheel-builder. I don't think you can go wrong with him.
How is the Monkeybone a refinement of the Speedbone?

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I have a build in mind. Hope Pro II single speed rear, Hope Pro II front hub, DT Competition spokes and alloy nipples laced to Stans Arch rims. Speedgoat and Universalcycles has some good prices on the build up. Who else should I be considering?
Juan,

If your wheel builder doesn't ask you the following questions, you might consider another. Also, before commenting on your proposed build - I would like to hear your answers...

How big a boy are you?

What is your riding style? Are you agressive or looking for something light?

Have you had any issues with wheels in the past?

What bike is it going on?

Are you able to work on your own wheels. Are you comfortable maintaining them - or do you want something as mantenance free as possible?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I am curious once the new salsa mamasita comes out end sept/oct i plan on building pretty much the same wheels, what kinda price you getting quoted?
thx

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.