Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

As my next vacation approaches, I'm finding myself a little bit in doubt as to where to spend two weeks mountain biking in Europe.

Last year I went to Portes du Soleil in French/Swiss Alps and while I loved the place, this time I would prefer some place with a more moderate terrain. I mean, in the Alps the trails mostly consisted of hard climbing (or going up on the lifts) and then rather technical and fast descending (which made my braking fingers ache pretty soon). Now I'm looking for some large trail center without very steep inclines - some place where you'd take your 5"x5" or 6"x6" trailbike to and ride some 50-60 kilometers a day on your own, without repeating same trails over and over again. Rocky, rooty singletrack is very much welcome as long as it is more or less 'horizontal' overall.

I hope I'm making myself clear as English is not my native language and I hope you guys can point me to some places. Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
If you have the chance, I would spend some time in Wales. It has exactly what you are asking for. Check this link out.

http://www.mbwales.com/

Be sure to go to the Afan Forest and Coed y Brenin.

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vespasianus said:
If you have the chance, I would spend some time in Whales. It has exactly what you are asking for. Check this link out.

http://www.mbwales.com/

Be sure to go to the Afan Forest and Coed y Brenin.
Thanks Vespasianus, I'll definitely take a look at this. Can you recommend a place to stay there? Something with an easy access to as many trails as possible?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The best place to spend two weeks mountain biking is as everybody knows the Garda Lake in Italy. You have a great variety of trails and fire roads, from easy flowing singletrack to steep rocky and dangerous. But you will have to climb a lot or shutlle by car.
And overall it is Italy by its finest.
You will find enough infomation on the web about Riva, Torbole and Vesio.

A region much underestimated in Italy is Tuscany and Umbria. Look into the www.mtb-forum.it .

In Germany I recommend the Pfälzer Wald ( Kaiserslautern, Rodalben etc.) - a great network of technical singletrack to fireroads in Germany´s largest forest area.
Similar, but a lot smaller is the Lausitzer Gebirge (Zittauer Gebirge) in Germany / Czechia / Poland. The tiniest mountains in Germany!

Take a look at this website: www.trailhunter.de
These guys went around Europe a lot to ride technical tracks, from the Harz in Germany to the Alpes Maritimes in France.

PS: I forgot to mention the Canary Islands ! Best place besides the Lake Garda ! La Palma is best for mountain biking, look on www.atlantic-cycling.de (you cant ride without a guide or you have to climb too much and wont find the secret trails!).

·
Lopen is sneller....
529 Posts
If you don't like excessive climbing don't go to the Garda region. I love it there but you will need to do a fair bit of climbing for the interesting trails. Besides that Garda can be extremely crowded during summer, popular tours like the Tremalzo in particular (not that intersesting by the way). Finale Ligure (Italian Riviera) could be a great option. Climbs are short (I am from Switzerland so you must put that in perspective) and they have tons of great single trails.

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your input, the more options the better!

I'm planning my trip on the second and third or third and fourth weeks of August, if that matters.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Smith said:
Thank you guys for your input, the more options the better!

I'm planning my trip on the second and third or third and fourth weeks of August, if that matters.
Now that matters :D - its ferragosto time!
Nonetheless I will go on holidays in Italy at this time, too. Just think of the whole country going crazy with everybody in his/her car and driving to the nearest lake or beach and get drunk. I love it :D ....on the trails you wont notice.

But on the highways, the campings, the hotels and restaurants (not only in Italy).

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
Hmmm, going to any remotely popular italian destination during ferragosto isn't something I'd recommend to anyone.Except to someone I don't like very much :p

Marko

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Wales... (NOT with a H....)

If you stay somewhere in the valleys, youd have easy access to Afan/Glyncorrwyg (Skyline 46k, whites level, the wall), Cwmcarn, Brecon Beacons - and possible (though a decent drive) to Coed-y-brenin or Llandegla.

Rode "White's level" at afan today, was awesome - though how this only classes as a red route I dont know, it has some very technical sections... Starts with a pretty long climb (6km) then its almost all descents from there.

Cwmcarn also is fantastic, like afan its a fairly big climb to start, and then pretty much all down.

Truly, if you want to come to Europe to ride trails - you CANNOT pass Wales up, its simply fantastic

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
EnglishT said:
Wales... (NOT with a H....)

If you stay somewhere in the valleys, youd have easy access to Afan/Glyncorrwyg (Skyline 46k, whites level, the wall), Cwmcarn, Brecon Beacons - and possible (though a decent drive) to Coed-y-brenin or Llandegla.

Rode "White's level" at afan today, was awesome - though how this only classes as a red route I dont know, it has some very technical sections... Starts with a pretty long climb (6km) then its almost all descents from there.

Cwmcarn also is fantastic, like afan its a fairly big climb to start, and then pretty much all down.

Truly, if you want to come to Europe to ride trails - you CANNOT pass Wales up, its simply fantastic
Agreed, but I was talking about the Whales. Great ride. They come north in the summer. ;)

The initial climb in the Afan forest is not that bad, a little boring but not bad. God, I miss ridding in the UK. I actually loved ridding in the Chiltern hills, the bluebells were amazing. And so were the pubs!

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you again guys, so the UK will be my primary option, whether it is Wales or Scotland. It'll be a good chance to visit London on my way back and maybe Edinburgh on my way there if I choose Scotland.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Vespasianus said:
Agreed, but I was talking about the Whales. Great ride. They come north in the summer. ;)
I thought they went to london via the Thames in the summer...

Vespasianus said:
The initial climb in the Afan forest is not that bad, a little boring but not bad. God, I miss ridding in the UK. I actually loved ridding in the Chiltern hills, the bluebells were amazing. And so were the pubs!
It depends which route you do at afan... If you ride the wall, theres fireroad sections on the climb - white's level is more technical climbing, and all singletrack.

Everyone misses the pubs here, or is it the beer? :D

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey it's me again.

At the present moment I'm leaning towards Scotland and the 7 Stanes. My plan is to arrive to London then immediately take a train to Edinburgh and spend a night there. On the next day moving to Glentress to stay there for 5 nights and ride local trails around Glentress & Innerleithen.

Then I'm thinking about moving a bit to the south-west to spend 5 more nights somewhere else and visit other Stanes. Problem is, I'm a bit at a loss as to where to stay... is Dumfries ok?

The remaining 2 nights will be spent in London and then I'm heading back home.

·
Registered
52 Posts
not sure if you're bringing your bike or not but it may be easier, quicker and cheaper to fly. Try easyjet.com . They will charge extra for your bike but if its all packed up already then it may be easier.

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lynseyf said:
not sure if you're bringing your bike or not but it may be easier, quicker and cheaper to fly. Try easyjet.com . They will charge extra for your bike but if its all packed up already then it may be easier.
I'm bringing my bike along.
Do you mean to fly from London to Edinburgh or what? I'll look into this, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have two weeks just for MTBing, you can easily do a "best-of" the trail centres in Wales and southern Scotland.

If you have to fly to London, I presume you;re landing at Heathrow - and from there you could hire a car (if that's your plan) and drive straight to south Wales and ride Cwmcarn and Afan/Glyncorryg, then move up through Wales to check out Nant yr Arian (much underrated!), Cli Machx and Coed y Brenin.

Maybe stop for a lap at Coed Llandegla on your way back out of the top of Wales, before driving north a few hours to the southern Stanes (yes Dumfries is a good place to stay, or Castle Douglas). Whatever you do don't miss the black route at Kirroughtree, but the red routes at Mabie and Ae are also very enjoyable (you can do those two in a single day).

Then finish up at Glentress and Innerleithen before hitting Edinburgh, probably the most beautiful city in the UK.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.