Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
lazy piston
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

As my next vacation approaches, I'm finding myself a little bit in doubt as to where to spend two weeks mountain biking in Europe.

Last year I went to Portes du Soleil in French/Swiss Alps and while I loved the place, this time I would prefer some place with a more moderate terrain. I mean, in the Alps the trails mostly consisted of hard climbing (or going up on the lifts) and then rather technical and fast descending (which made my braking fingers ache pretty soon). Now I'm looking for some large trail center without very steep inclines - some place where you'd take your 5"x5" or 6"x6" trailbike to and ride some 50-60 kilometers a day on your own, without repeating same trails over and over again. Rocky, rooty singletrack is very much welcome as long as it is more or less 'horizontal' overall.

Update:
Having got some suggestions in the Other Areas forums, I'm leaning towards the UK (Scotland or Wales) but I'm open to other suggestions too. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'd go back into the Alps but do something totally different: Cross the Alps on the Mountain Bike.

The best routes are from south of Germany/Austria to Italy. The Alps are a bit less steep here and due to heavy fighting in 2 wars there is a dense network of rideable trails. Best of all, every valley and many passes have a bed and breakfast place. So you can ride from Germany to Italy with cash and a few spare clothes as your only luggage.

There are guided tours and transportation services for the most popular routes. Garmisch to Lago di Garda is a good example. But you can also simply take the train back.

Is it fun - you bet. I did 3 tours in the Alps. Only luggage was a 10 lbs backpack. The first time was a round trip fom Garmisch to Meran (Italy) and back (5 days). Next was a not so straight Garmisch/Lago (10 days of bliss). And finally I rode from Lago Maggiore to Stuttgart (3 day dash).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been ot Lago di Garda twice, though neither time was I able to go biking. WHAAAAHHHH!!!!

It was torture to see the amazing trail system and not be able to ride. I did get the trail map. You could ride for years there and always do something different.

Then you have the lake and windsurfing, motorcycling, etc. The "sights"...

Stay in Nago at the Continental. Limone will put you at the bottom of some trails. Malcesine is where the tram is if you DH.

Any way you do it, you won't be dissapointed!

·
mtb_italy_guide
14 Posts
The Appennine in Italy. It's the Italian devide running north to south. It's great riding; less known. Not as tough as in the Alps.
Even a coast to coast between Emilia Romagna and Tuscany (crossing the Appennine).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Transylvania or Croatia/Slovenia. And it's pretty cheap. Go with a guide and you won't repeat trails over.

I'm going to Malta and Croatia this summer. I'm also debating going to either Scotland, Greece, or Transylvania.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best places for riding in Europe

I'd have to go with Verbier, did some riding last year with Pure Gravity and it was awesome they also do day trips to Crans Montana, Pila and the Portes De Soleil. Verbier great base for multiple destinations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts