Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Salsa Spearfish frame that takes the PressFit 30 BB. I would like to use normal Shimano 24mm cranks and I do not want to use spacers/adapters inside a PF30 BB. I would like to get a dedicated PF30 --> 24mm BB. Question is, which to get? I have searched and there seems to be lots of good things said about the Praxis ($85). Also, the Wheels Mfg. unit ($74) looks good. I also found a Race Face unit at Art's for about half the price ($40).

Has anyone tried more than one of these and care to compare? Anyone tried the Race Face at all? Are there others I should be aware of? And finally, are there retailers (that might have sale/coupon) to buy the Praxis or Wheels or do they come just from their own websites?

Thanks!

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
the the KCNC/real world cycling unit .. start at like 50-60 bucks and goes up depending on bearings.. the key is the threaded center tube with lock the whole thing together and help defeat the the well documented moving/squeaking BS with the press fit setup...
looks like the Wheels MFG ones do that too.. these look better though ;)

KCNC/RWC BB30 to HT2 BB MTB Adapter with Enduro Bearings

kc30xht2_600.jpg

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have a brand new in box Praxis if you're interested. $80 delivered in the US. Praxis is hands down the best, it's in a few of my 30mm-24mm frame/crank combos. This is a leftover from a dedicated PF30 bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Best?

I have a brand new in box Praxis if you're interested. $80 delivered in the US. Praxis is hands down the best, it's in a few of my 30mm-24mm frame/crank combos. This is a leftover from a dedicated PF30 bike.
Just curious to see if you have experience with the KCNC unit. What makes the Praxis so much better than the KCNC?

Thanks.

Jacksonn

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have no experience with the KCNC. I went with the Praxis based on mtbr user input and every positive online publication/mag review.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Just curious to see if you have experience with the KCNC unit. What makes the Praxis so much better than the KCNC?

Thanks.

Jacksonn
They are both quality products. If you're a super weight sweetie the praxis will be a little bit lighter. The Real World Cycling/kcnc will be a tad heavier but a class better bearings dollar for dollar. They both have really good reputations as a company whole. Either one you'll have a great product with awesome customer service. I have lots of experience with RWC and have yet to find a better company to deal with in the cycling world. Personally, the weight/money (if I remember correctly the Praxis is like 10 grams lighter..?) isn't worth it and would rather save $$ and have a more rugged BB, but either way you'll be good.

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
So what did you pick? I'm actually looking at the same bottom brackets for the same frame (Spearfish). Please let me know if you have any additional input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am also running the Wheels unit on my Stump Evo Carbon. I found it to work better than the Praxis BB on my Tarmac road bike (BB30 to 24mm) which in theory is better designed... but ends up creaking.

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. At first I was considering buying the cheaper adapters from Wheels MFG, but now I'm convinced I want the bottom bracket.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. At first I was considering buying the cheaper adapters from Wheels MFG, but now I'm convinced I want the bottom bracket.
again, you can save $20 with real world cycling/KCNC's or spend a few buck more and get ceramic bearings... again not that the WMG is bad, but it's no better for the extra $$$ (and the RWC one's look better ;) )

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
again, you can save $20 with real world cycling/KCNC's or spend a few buck more and get ceramic bearings... again not that the WMG is bad, but it's no better for the extra $$$ (and the RWC one's look better ;) )
I looked at those but they are out of stock of the steel bearings option.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts