Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any good bike shops in the Bay Area or if there is a website with LBS reviews? I'm looking into purchasing my first mountain bike and was wondering what local bike shops offer with a bike purchased from them.

I just got back from a LBS here in El Sobrante and they offered a year of service and only the warranty the bike comes with. The service was pretty good too.

I called another shop in Alameda and they offer free adjustments forever and their bikes are guaranteed for life as well. It even says on their website. I'm sure there are restrictions though. The guy I talked to on the phone was pretty cool also.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
knightryda510 said:
Does anyone know of any good bike shops in the Bay Area or if there is a website with LBS reviews? I'm looking into purchasing my first mountain bike and was wondering what local bike shops offer with a bike purchased from them.

I just got back from a LBS here in El Sobrante and they offered a year of service and only the warranty the bike comes with. The service was pretty good too.

I called another shop in Alameda and they offer free adjustments forever and their bikes are guaranteed for life as well. It even says on their website. I'm sure there are restrictions though. The guy I talked to on the phone was pretty cool also.
This is not SPAM for Kona or Hank & Franks.

BTCEB will be offering Kona's 2006 Close out deals on the website within the next couple of weeks similar to the deal offered by BBTC in Washington State. If this interests you, let me know since the contact info for our local rep is different than the one on their website.

http://bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=196

The deal is that if you are interested in any of those packages, the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay can benefit from your already discounted price. The bike is ordered and assembled by a local Kona dealer (most likely by Hank & Franks of Oakland or Lafayette) and you pick it up assembled and ready to go!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Paper or plastic?
10,692 Posts
Dan'ger said:
This is not SPAM for Kona or Hank & Franks.

BTCEB will be offering Kona's 2006 Close out deals on the website within the next couple of weeks similar to the deal offered by BBTC in Washington State. If this interests you, let me know since the contact info for our local rep is different than the one on their website.

http://bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=196

The deal is that if you are interested in any of those packages, the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay can benefit from your already discounted price. The bike is ordered and assembled by a local Kona dealer (most likely by Hank & Franks of Oakland or Lafayette) and you pick it up assembled and ready to go!

Thanks,
Dan
That's really cool of Kona.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
zorg said:
That's really cool of Kona.
Yeah! I thought so!

Kona and Hank & Franks have been really cool to the BTCEB. Chuck (imridingmybike) has a point of contact with Hank & Franks and he plugged the BTCEB there. Chuck and Hank & Franks then put us together with Kelly at Kona and great things have started to happen.

Not to say that these are the only really great bike shops or manufacturers but they have shown direct generosity to BTCEB.

In the East Bay, there are several shops that go out of their way to help with advocacy and the High School programs:
Sharp's in Lafayette supports the BTCEB volunteer awards (among other things)
El Sobrante Peddaler and Solano Avenue Cyclery in Albany have greatly supported El Cerrito, Albany and Berkeley High School teams.
Sharp's, Solano Avenue, Wheels of Justice (Oakland) and the Missing Link Co-op (Berkeley) sponsored the 2005 Ales & Trails event.
Several other shops and even MTBR donate to the BTCEB and support other programs.

As we say: "Support those who support us!"

(We also say: "Free the singletrack!")

·
Paper or plastic?
10,692 Posts
Knight, my advice is to support the local bike shop if possible. In your case, it seems that you have a couple choices in your immediate area that are well reviewed, and who support the community. If they carry the bike/brand you like, I would advise to go with them. You'll need them again in the future as this is only the first of a long list of bike related purchases :), and you'll find out that it's nice to have a local shop that you can trust to take care of your bike when you need it.

BTW, if you want advice on what bike to buy, fire away, and you'll probably get 15-20 different choices from this board.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
encina and clayton bicycle cetner are great too. Lifetime service is a beautiful thing.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Passion is the spot

IMHO. Gotta show the love. But the Yay Area has a treasure trove of solid LBS's.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bonus service stuff is great IF you actually make use of it. In my experience its better to find a shop that really kicks ass at doing a really solid initial build.

There is a difference between un-boxing a bike, putting the wheels on, and "tuning it up" VS un-boxing the bike, tearing it down to a bare frame and building it up right. The latter won't require that "free tune up" that a shop might throw in with the purchase. Its worth doing the sleuthing to find out which shops do it right...

·
gimme friction
1,139 Posts
You said El Sobrante...so that means either Pedaler or El Sob Schwinn.

Pedaler is the one, hands down. I've always received good service from them, even though I didn't buy my bike there. Real friendly folks, and very down-to-earth.

Solano Cyclery (in Albany) also seems pretty good, if they have a bike you like.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
OK, you didn't restrict yourself to East Bay in your post so here are a few:

Missing Link, Berkeley
Sunshine Bicycle, Fairfax
Mill Valley Cycleworks, Mill Valley
Mt Tam Bikes, Mill Valley
GravyWheels, San Anselmo

Pedaler is good.

Too bad Orinda Spoke and Pedal bit the dust a while back . . . . :(

·
1,247 Posts
I totally trust Passion TB with my bikes... always. It just sucks that I moved a bit further away from them.

I like the guys at Evolution for talking about parts and suspension and random stuff. I've never left my bike there to get serviced, but Mike (I think that's his name) is real easy to talk to and knows his shizzle. I tend to go here since they are pretty close to me now and the guys are friendly.

I also like Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto for truing my wheels. They are backed up a lot in the service dept though.

I had my new frame prepped and faced/chased at Calabazas, and while they did a great job, I wasn't too thrilled with the attitude I got...... not to bash them or anything because it might have been a bad day for them, and others like that place but I haven't gone back there even though they are closest to me.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
napa river velo / bicycle trax (same shop, in the process of changing names)

napa

talk to duke and tell him melt sent you.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
lol the bike shop here in chico accepts 6 packs instead of payment if you have em tweak something minor for you (brakes hanging, wheel true, that sort of stuff)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.