Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Northeast Super D/AM tire setup..

2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  zach.scofield 
#1 ·
So, I will be entering a Super D race here in the Northeast, and was wondering what all of YOU think would be a good tire setup for said conditions..

This includes tire, F or R, dual or single ply, tread compound, and what your reasons for it being a great choice...

NOTICE: any tire that holds well for racing but is fairly light is awarded extra brownie points as I don't feel like changing/buying new tires for just the races... of which there are two left.

So far I have been told about: Minion F, Highroller R; Maxxis Ardent F,R; Kenda Telonix F, Excavator R (so far what I'm leaning towards)... please continue

What is really tipping the scales, is the fact of Single vs. Dual ply, for a 150lb rider who likes to occasionally jump everything in sight is Dual ply necessary??? and worth the added weight?

#2 ·
The telonix is a super duty single ply tire. I would say best of both worlds. The excavators single ply is not super thin either.

I only live a couple hrs from blue mtn and the riding here is basically the same. The telonix and excavator is a superb combo for our riding.

here you can read our thoughts on the combo.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=523074

#4 ·
zach.scofield said:
The telonix is a super duty single ply tire. I would say best of both worlds. The excavators single ply is not super thin either.

I only live a couple hrs from blue mtn and the riding here is basically the same. The telonix and excavator is a superb combo for our riding.

here you can read our thoughts on the combo.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=523074
Now the only question is whether or not I should go with the full on DH with the wire bead and Stick E rubber or the folding, I guess weight wont matter as much as tread life and pinch flatting for my sakes. Have you experienced the Stick E compound? does it wear like Maxxis' 40a compound?..

#5 ·
sickspeed16 said:
Now the only question is whether or not I should go with the full on DH with the wire bead and Stick E rubber or the folding, I guess weight wont matter as much as tread life and pinch flatting for my sakes. Have you experienced the Stick E compound? does it wear like Maxxis' 40a compound?..
We havent ridden the Stick E version and don't know if we will based on weight. We don't do lift accessed DH so its more weight then we want to pedal around. I would quess that the Sticky Wears like the nev would but maybe faster because of the tread height. The stick-e weighs over half a pound more than the folding Telonix. The folding version I have weighs in just under 1000gr and the sticky is said to be 1380 in a 2.4 and 1500+ for the 2.6" version. I think that the single ply Telonix will be more than sufficient for your needs unless you go full on nar DH.
The folding Excavators are about 750ish. The downhill stick-e versions come in 2.35" and weigh 1225+ and 2.5" and weigh 1375 or more. If running strong downhill I'd go w/ the heavier version but w/ that being said I haven't flatted one in the folding version yet and I'm 240 and run it at 32-34psi on a 25mm rim. Strauss has pinched his once but he ran hard into a sharp shale ledge and was running a real narrow sun EQ23 rim. He tips the scale at 200 and runs his around 35psi.

If you're looking to not have to switch tires between races I would recommend the folding dtc versions. They should still hold up just fine if you were to throw a DH tube in the rear for races.

#6 ·
Excellent info my friend, if kenda hasn't picked you guys up for a sponsorship/marketing deal they should cause you just sold me on these.. One last question however, do the sizes compare to Maxxis Highrollers if you know.. alot of people have been saying maxxis runs small.. is kenda true to size? bigger? I also know how the measurement is from the sidewall.. and was wondering what the true width is and/or thats what they measure from.

Once again thanks for all the info..

#7 ·
I don't think I have calipers, I'll look in the tool box and If I do I'll get a real measurement, but these kenda's look true to size or bigger. visually larger than a 2.5 minion.

I wish we could get a Kenda sponsorship but Im afraid that we're just everyday guys riding trails, not racers. We're sold on this combo either way.

#9 ·
I was doing a little more research and found that Kenda's folding kevlars are 120 tpi where-as the Folding highrollers I've got on now are said to be 60 tpi.. any info on the comparison between the two?

#11 ·
My current tire setup is a cut down Excavator (kevlar, 2.35) up front paired with a 2.35 kevlar Small Block 8 in the rear. I've ridden this combo on loads of terrain and weather and I'm still stoked on it. I'm a DH'er at heart and ride my AM bike as such, running tubes and have had no flats yet. This is similar to the common 2.35 Highroller/Larsen combo. I'd say the Larsen rolls a bit faster but is a touch more fragile.

I used to run 2-ply tire exclusively on my AM bikes because I refused to run more than mid-20's for air pressure.... I guess thats my DH roots showing. I made the switch to single ply tires running low 30's and have been very happy. A good tire should work well with more pressure. The Excavator has been the single most impressive tire I've ever used, in both 2.35 on the AM bike and 2.5 on the DH bike. I don't like it on the rear as it rolls like pooh though.

#13 ·
And you said you've tried the excavator in Stick E Rubber? hows that hold up?, and if you dont mind me asking about your weight and comparison between the maxxis single/dual ply and Kenda Single/dual ply?

#14 ·
Are you asking about tires for the Blue Mountain Super-D series? That course in itself requires special consideration IMO. Hahahaha. Lots of fun, rode it on my HT in the first race, I am taking my dualy next time. Take the added weight of a dual ply in the rear if not running tubeless. High Roller rear, ADvantage front. My HT has a Blue groove in front and Nevegal tubeless in rear(with tube,...yeah, I know). It was fine, But I would prefer the HR rear and ADv front, combo of rocks and soil consistancy. To each their own though, good luck:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Also doing the Blue Mountain SuperD series this summer. Thinking about 2.4 UST RubberQueens from Conti next time on my ML8 maverick. The RQs seem to be very highly recommended on this site and others based on trail type and terrain.

Haven't considered the Kendas at all- for one I don't want to give up my UST for my daily rides in Wissahickon.

Thanks for the info.

#19 · (Edited)
ejfiii said:
Also doing the Blue Mountain SuperD series this summer. Thinking about 2.4 UST RubberQueens from Conti next time on my ML8 maverick. The RQs seem to be very highly recommended on this site and others based on trail type and terrain.

Haven't considered the Kendas at all- for one I don't want to give up my UST for my daily rides in Wissahickon.

Thanks for the info.
I've heard good reviews also but have never been a fan of conti's sidewalls.

Here is a link to an OK pictorial view of Lyon Mtn(these are not my photos). Generally the same ground as Blue Mtn. but tends to run a bit wetter through the year on the upper half and with less groomed trail. The next trip there I will photo the new trail that is 1 mile longer but not as hard to go up.

http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageGallery/2008/05-25-Lyon/PictureDataMain/IMG_8699.jsp?js=on

If the combo I suggested runs through this w/out issue(which it does) than I'd say its a pretty damn good combo. Again we're not racers racing on race trails just guys out in the mtns riding whatever comes our way.

#20 ·
#21 ·
I just can't get over how amazing this combo works. I will never run anything else but these for as long as I can get my grubby hands on them. The Telonix/ Excavator combo has so much traction that it literally takes your riding ability to the next level. You gain so much confidence with them that you are willing to go faster and try things that would be unthinkable with other tires.

Mark my words, as soon as you get these tires mounted up and start riding them you will find yourself in the Telonix/Excavator fan club too. Zach and I just so happen to be the co-founders :)

#24 ·
The only weakness I have found w/ the Telonix / Excavator combo is the wet root/log handling ability of the Telonix as a front tire.

However.....Today, after talking w/ Hans via email about some ideas I had, I modified the Telonix to improve what I feel is the tires true weakness - wet roots/logs. I must say that the modifications were a great success.

I'll post pictures and description of the mods in a new thread and provide the link.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.