Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, newbie isn't the correct term. One of my clients is an experienced top-placing sport level XC racer and we're looking for an 8-hour race for her. She's done other endurance events, but not an endurance mountain bike event. So, for the 2008 season, what would be your best recommendation of an event in Northern California. She's a cool chick, so bonus points for atmosphere. She also loves technically challenging XC races so technical is probably good.

Please keep in mind that this is for the 2008 season, so if an event is already sold out it does us no good......

Thanks for your input!

Lorri

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,452 Posts
If they are on this season, I would say the 8 hour race at Lake Sonoma. Low key, low entrance fee, and technical course.

Truthfully, if 8 hours solo, you actually don't want too technical a course. I think this one may be a bit too technical for endurance, as the chances of making a mistake increase greatly as you get further into the race.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I guess the 8 hour race that just closed for registration is out of the question! I think the Coolest 24 has a 8 or 12hr category.

One would think, however, that the velogirls would know about such races already. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did Cool just close, because it would appear that registration is still live.

I'm familiar with the local endurance race schedule, but I'm looking for opinions from folks who've done various races. the only one I've done is 24HOA @ Laguna Seca (and I have an opinion on that).

;-)

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Lake Sonoma Billy-X races rock! (Bikemonkey.net)...and they are techy...around 4.5 mile laps with around 900' + ascent and no recovery......great event.

Coolest 24 hours has 8 hour categories - great vibe, great charity and the course (last year) was not overly technical....but by no means was it "smooth".

I've only heard good things about Team Bigfoot events too (Whiskeytown Nine to Five comes to mind in October).....

singlespeed.org has it right.....XC is different from Endurance.....rock gardens, roots, etc... that are "easy" on lap 1 are not so easy on lap 8........tends to hurt...ugh

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I am new and still slow at Racing.

Boggs and Cool were my introductions, they were awesome, grass roots events with the monies going towards a good cause. Boggs registration is closed, but register for Cool.

Much better than 24 HOA!

Also, look for races put on by Bigfoot.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
velogirl said:
did Cool just close, because it would appear that registration is still live.

I'm familiar with the local endurance race schedule, but I'm looking for opinions from folks who've done various races. the only one I've done is 24HOA @ Laguna Seca (and I have an opinion on that).

;-)
yup....Coolest 24 hours is still Open......Boggs III has closed (and that's a good one to pencil in for next year....or heck, volunteer this year!)

24HOA at Laguna Seca can literally be raced on a road bike with chubby tires......not techy....well, except that 1 dang section off of trail 47 in the June race.....that was tweaky ;)

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I wonder how many people registered for Boggs III ... and who's on that list anyway??

Speaking of volunteering, I did some of that over at 24 HOA last September. It was far more enjoyable and rewarding than I had imagined. And I don't mean the type of rewarding where I feel better about myself because I"m doint good ... eff that ... I really liked observing the racers, listening and discussing events during the race, or just plain chilling with zombies on bikes at 6am in the morning with the sun rising.

Its one thing reading about Tinker's race, yet another handing over a cup of gatorade 18 laps into the race ...

http://picasaweb.google.com/steven.gemelos/24HoursOfAdrenalineSept2007/photo#5106384964446904034

But yeah, enough about that.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
doesnt 24HOA have a 8 hour solo option..

theres also the team big foot events running from spring to fall..

·
2012 Race: April 28th!
871 Posts
An early season race sounds preferable. After one race she'll want to do more, so she should start early. Bigfoot's 12 Hrs of Weaverville has a fun course and if 12 hrs is too much for a solo effort, try a 2 person team. I find 6 one hour laps with an hour to rest in between to be a real fitness builder. The Whiskeytown 9-5 is very doable solo, comes late in the season (October) and has a fairly techy course.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
1)-There is no longer (as of yet an 8hr at Lake Sonoma, email Bikemonkey and tell Carlos there's a market for it, you never know)
2) Boggs 3 is closed, but would be a great event (that's why it's closed, almost 300 people)
3)- 24 HOA and Cool 24 have 8 hr options.
4)- Whiskeytown 9-5- near Shasta/ Redding- is a tough course, but my friend did her first mtb racethere as a solo 8 hr. (first race EVER!!!)
That's all I know of around here...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Please, Fritz no G-strings at Coolest 24

The Coolest 24 is always open to fun, live music, drink and that hairy guy late at night running around out on the race course !!:nono:

·
feeling squirrelly
712 Posts
Another vote for Whiskeytown 9-5. I did it 2, maybe 3 years ago as a 2 person female team. It was very fun and could easily have been done as a solo. The course was awesome and it was well organized. Plus there was a pond with red eared slider turtles in it to distract you from the pain as you pass by it each lap. ;)

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
badjenny said:
Another vote for Whiskeytown 9-5. I did it 2, maybe 3 years ago as a 2 person female team. It was very fun and could easily have been done as a solo. The course was awesome and it was well organized. Plus there was a pond with red eared slider turtles in it to distract you from the pain as you pass by it each lap. ;)
I missed the red eared slider turtles, but did find the pain...
Great course, well supported, local vobe. I thinkk this is a good one. Camping nearby, and not far from Redding if you want to do the hotel thing the night before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts