Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Not having a fatbike, nor am I going to slip one quietly into the shed, I'm am resigned to all the compromises that exist in adding as much fatness as possible to a Surly 1x1 frame that I am now the proud owner of.

I'm looking into tyre (tire?) options to run i the back of this frame and I know that the Nokian Gazza's are generally considered the best, but they are getting a bit tricky to source. So to my question, what is the best 3" or thereabouts tyre available now (prefer in UK if possible) for sand and snow playtime?

Yes I have searched the forum, but a lot of tyres mentioned have ceased to be available, so looking for up to date suggestions.

Many thanks,

Craig.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
arcascomp said:
...I know that the Nokian Gazza's are generally considered the best, but they are getting a bit tricky to source. So to my question, what is the best 3" or thereabouts tyre available now (prefer in UK if possible) for sand and snow playtime?...
Unicycle UK sell the Duro 3".

It will definitely fit the 1x1 because I bought one to try it for size on my 1x1.

I see they may be out of stock though - worth trying them anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That fatty tyre is 1.8Kg, but then isn't a Larry about 1.5Kg? What do I know, never tried any of these before! :)

Velobike, thanks for that. Is that the best current tyre in those dimensions that you know of for sand and/or snow? How was the clearance on the 1x1 with a 3"er in there?

Prefer to rely on everyone else's mistakes before I march right on in and make a load of my very own!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
The Duro is about 3 times as stiff and a little heavier/lower volume than the Gazza. No comparison.

The Vredestein Black Panther mounted to a 70mm wide rim is the best option in between 2.5's on Umas and Endos. It's pretty high volume(just a hair under 3" on those rims), cheap, very light, supple, fast rolling, regularly available and gets decent traction.

The Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.5 looks like a decent option too, according to the numbers. It's a little heavier/less supple, but higher volume/knobbier. I've never used it though.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Sean knows more about Gazzas than me, so take his comments on board.

Here's photos of the Duro on the bike. I have not completed it because I had a 24hr race coming up, and I've been too busy with other projects.

The Duro is a heavy beast. I intended to take my rubber knife to it before use and trim down the knobs and excess weight.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Velobike said:
Sean knows more about Gazzas than me, so take his comments on board.

Here's photos of the Duro on the bike. I have not completed it because I had a 24hr race coming up, and I've been too busy with other projects.

The Duro is a heavy beast. I intended to take my rubber knife to it before use and trim down the knobs and excess weight.
That bike looks badass, Velo!!!

My negative comments about the Duro relate only to riding on sand/snow. For mud, rocks, roots, bogs, soft trail, etc, they're actually really good, though I would definitely recommend the Michelin 32 a/t 2.8 over them for that purpose, since it's nearly a pound lighter and UST.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.