Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry not to sort through all the posts, but I am looking for a great trunk-mount rack. I am buying a new car (to be decided) and don't want to buy an SUV which you could get a hitch with. So I don't want to put an aftermarket hitch on a 2022 new car. My issue with truck-mounted racks has always been the swaying during driving. Any recos for a rack that is easy to hook up and that also mitigates swaying? Price no object.

Thanks!

· EDR
10,820 Posts
Back in the day Saris Bones was the best trunk rack I could find. It was durable and did not sway. It did cause deformation of the bumper cover and paint scuffs on the trunk lid.

Not want you want to hear (but you will hear it from almost everyone)...Get an aftermarket hitch if you are at all serious about biking and would rather not damage your new car. You don't need an SUV, I have a hitch on my Accord.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

· All fat, all the time.
11,122 Posts
Also had a saris bone rack. It worked, but depending if you have suspension in the way it can be a pain, as noted above, out will scratch paint/bumper etc

Depending on the vehicle, many aftermarket hitches are nearly invisible, all you see is the 2" receiver.

There is also the SeaSucker. Personally never tried one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,618 Posts
frankly, there are no great trunk mount racks.

put a hitch on your car, get a roof rack, or carry the bike inside.
This, even the best trunk rack bends panels over time, scruffs the pant due to particles of dust in the air, is kind of hokey at holding the bikes, in fact, the better ones at holding the bikes are a lot heavier and increase the first two issues I mentioned. Security is poor, etc. They can be an acceptable temporary solution, as in you use it in a pinch, but they are not a good long term solution IME. For the money a decent one costs, it's money better invested in a receiver.
Automotive tire Hood Naval architecture Motor vehicle Bumper

Reactions: SpartyinWI

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This, even the best trunk rack bends panels over time, scruffs the pant due to particles of dust in the air, is kind of hokey at holding the bikes, in fact, the better ones at holding the bikes are a lot heavier and increase the first two issues I mentioned. Security is poor, etc. They can be an acceptable temporary solution, as in you use it in a pinch, but they are not a good long term solution IME. For the money a decent one costs, it's money better invested in a receiver.
View attachment 1958441
Yeah for sure. I have a hitch on my current VW Golf. It's awesome. But 2022 cars with new designs won't have aftermarket hitch recievers. I always look to etrailer.com. maybe I just get a damn SUV.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,618 Posts
Yeah for sure. I have a hitch on my current VW Golf. It's awesome. But 2022 cars with new designs won't have aftermarket hitch recievers. I always look to etrailer.com. maybe I just get a damn SUV.
Yes. I'll stay away from a new design unless there is confirmation that a receiver is available. I'll go to extraordinary lengths if necessary to get one, but I won't buy the car unless I am pretty sure I can get one by hook or crook.

Reactions: SpartyinWI

· off to ride
264 Posts
I have a Thule trunk mount rack that I’ve had for 12 or so years. I’ve used it off and on for different work vehicles (Dodge Charger, Equinox). Like others have said, the paint started to chip where the latches secure to the trunk in all areas. You can try and get protection on this and that may help. I did scratch up the bike a bit as well, mainly on the seat tube where the connector that kept the bike from swaying strapped to.

I just stopped using it about 2 months ago after using it for the last two years. I got a new MTB and it won’t sit on this rack so I added a hitch on and got a 1Up Rack. During the time I wasn’t using this rack, I had a roof rack on two of my Equinox models which I really liked.

But, the Thule trunk mount rack has done well. I’ve left it on the car the last year and some months with me not traveling at all and it’s been fine. Only thing I see is that the foam pads that sit against the window for hatchback or trunk for car and then the bumper are getting a bit hard and drying out. Not sure if those are replaceable or not, but not a worry for the time being.

What Thule sells now that is similar is called the Thule Passage 3 bike rack. It looks a bit different than what I have, but basically the same thing.

They have another style, but I don’t know how that is. Hope that helps.

· since 4/10/2009
37,517 Posts
But 2022 cars with new designs won't have aftermarket hitch recievers. I always look to etrailer.com. maybe I just get a damn SUV.
If bike transport is important for that vehicle, then don't buy it unless you can carry bikes well.

I don't always get a hitch for my vehicles if other transport methods make sense (last car was either interior transport or roof rack). but if neither of those are desirable, then get something you can install a hitch on. because trunk racks absolutely suck for frequent use.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
2022 Audi A3 and 2022 Honda Civic hatch. But I have plenty of time no hurry.
I don't follow Audi's so much anymore, but I think they came out in 2021 in Europe (?), so you could get the roof rack for now and run a 1up tray until aftermarket hitches come out in the US. Then get the 1up ,hardware to mount the tray on the hitch.

For me, I like to have roof bars anyway for a cargobox and Home Depot runs.

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't follow Audi's so much anymore, but I think they came out in 2021 in Europe (?), so you could get the roof rack for now and run a 1up tray until aftermarket hitches come out in the US. Then get the 1up hardware to mount the tray on the hitch.

For me I like to have roof bars anyway for a cargobox and Home Depot runs.

Good ideas. I love the Saris hitch rack I have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.