Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are brass Dt nipples still the best out there.
I am going to build myself some wheels of about 32mm internal maybe Stans rims. Also I see in the near future a Shimano Alfine Di2 11 on a older Stans Crest, 21mm internal?

The 2009 Fargo gets new brakes and wheels, GRX maybe DI2 if the new brakes work that way, alfine of some kind. I have 2 Crest rims froma few years ago that I never used.

My breakaway 26er gets new wheels for 2.4 inch tires, what is the state of the nipple, no news reached my cave.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Most certainly, the best nipples are not brass...

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Sapim claims their new aluminum nipples don't corrode, and that claim seems to hold up.

Between sapim, DT, and wheelsmith, I think quality is the same. Squorx is cool sometimes for too long spokes.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,210 Posts
Brass nipples are much easier to turn during the latter part of wheel builds in my experience. I've used them exclusively on new builds for a number of years and swapped them in on some rear wheels where aluminum nipples were having issues (multiple nipple snaps over time from rock hits, corrosion, fatigue when truing up a wheel years after a build, etc.).

Can't really go wrong with DT, Sapim or Wheelsmith all of which are top notch.

Reactions: LyNx

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,213 Posts
Sapim claims their new aluminum nipples don't corrode, and that claim seems to hold up.
Sapim makes all kinds of ridiculous claims that make no sense. Like you say, they are equal quality to any other major wheel component maker, but nothing special, like they try to claim with their spokes and nipples.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
There's no advantage to aluminum vs. brass spoke nipples, other than saving a small amount of weight. The only nipples I've had break were aluminum ones. I'll never use them again on a wheel I build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.