Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the tuning options out there that seem to do a better job than OEM, like the Vorsprung, Push, Avy (and others), what do folks think is the ideal fork, currently available, if a person plans on tuning/updating?

I don't see the point of getting fancy internals if your just going to replace.

Vorsprung coil with avy cortridge?

Avy cartridge with air spring upgrade?

I've heard good things about the Yari with Avy upgrade, seems to be the same platform as the Lyrik.

At least on the Fox and RS, I guess the point is to get the cheapest option that shares the same platform as the higher end models....but several other options like the Manitou, Marz, DVO and others...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yari is the best chassis to mod as it is cheap (very cheap used), very stiff (significantly more than the 36) and not prone to creaking. Also it has the most aftermarket upgrades.

That said the Manitou Mezzer is a dream fork and can probably compete stock head to head with a super yari.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yari is the best chassis to mod as it is cheap (very cheap used), very stiff (significantly more than the 36) and not prone to creaking. Also it has the most aftermarket upgrades.

That said the Manitou Mezzer is a dream fork and can probably compete stock head to head with a super yari.
Had my eye on the Mezzer but I was still under the assumption a custom tune / custom cartridge on a current fork would be the better solution.

Seems like the Mezzer is a better platform, 37mm and lighter.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
After trying a bunch of different air springs in different forks and smashpot, I really want to try a dual positive chamber spring like the IRT in the Mezzer. Coil is good for DH laps but not good for a playful ride. Debonair is really good for all types of riding, but not very tunable. The Mezzer damper is designed to be custom tunable at home and there are aftermarket mods for the base valve and rebound piston (shockcraft.co.nz).

I just built up a yari with smashpot and avalanche. It’s great, but super expensive. I already had a reduced offset yari chassis so it made sense, but if I was starting from scratch I would have bought a Mezzer.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Honestly, a fork like the Mattoc uses a simple shim stack system that is easily accessible - no bladder - and can easily be modified. Even though it is 34mm, it is plenty stiff as well.

As or the air spring, the IRT and Dorado system is one of the best out there.

The Mezzer looks nice but is a closed system...

I currently have a bike with a Mattoc, a bike with a Reba and a bike with a Pike RCT3. The Mattoc is the best of the lot without much debate. The Pike is great on the small stuff but when the travel is up, it is up. The Mattoc has the bottomless feel that always makes you feel that it has much more to give.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, a fork like the Mattoc uses a simple shim stack system that is easily accessible - no bladder - and can easily be modified. Even though it is 34mm, it is plenty stiff as well.

As or the air spring, the IRT and Dorado system is one of the best out there.

The Mezzer looks nice but is a closed system...

I currently have a bike with a Mattoc, a bike with a Reba and a bike with a Pike RCT3. The Mattoc is the best of the lot without much debate. The Pike is great on the small stuff but when the travel is up, it is up. The Mattoc has the bottomless feel that always makes you feel that it has much more to give.
I've heard good things about the Mattoc!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,860 Posts
Yarilanche. But yeah, we need more details.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is the most options for the Lyrik/Yari. Not saying "options equals best" though.

If you are looking used though, it's worth considering that most upgrade parts are for the charger dampers. You'd still have to buy the charger damper on top of the Yari, which on sale is like $220.

$300 Yari vs $400 Lyrik, the Lyrik will be cheaper in the end.

Very interested in the Mezzer, but will wait for some user reviews.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I've heard good things about the Mattoc!
The question is who do you want to tune it? If someone else, I would talk to the Avalanche guys and asked them as they are still, without much doubt in my mind, the best out there.

If you feel confident in tuning yourself, the Mattoc is a great option. No bladder and easily accessible shims.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Can you provide me with the data and how you collected it that the Yari/Lyrik is stiffer than a 36?. Also how did you conclude it was less prone too creaking?.
Lol i should have expected your questioning. I'm definitely expecting your soapbox reply.

The stiffness conclusion is simply based on the manitou marketing material.

Creaking is based on my group of friends and reading other user feedback on forums. I can think to ten friends who had creaky 36s and none with Lyriks. I know Lyriks can develop a creak too, just rarely hear about it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Lol i should have expected your questioning. I'm definitely expecting your soapbox reply.

The stiffness conclusion is simply based on the manitou marketing material.

Creaking is based on my group of friends and reading other user feedback on forums. I can think to ten friends who had creaky 36s and none with Lyriks. I know Lyriks can develop a creak too, just rarely hear about it.
So your basis for it been stiffer is based on what a company with an agenda for pushing a new fork has to say?.

In the UK I can tell you its easily 50-50 on creaking. No one brand suffers from it more or less. They all claim to have cured it but never have.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
In the UK I can tell you its easily 50-50 on creaking. No one brand suffers from it more or less. They all claim to have cured it but never have.
With myself and some of the folks I ride with there's 2 kinds of forks; forks that creak and forks that haven't started creaking yet, but will by the end of the season. Anything that isn't a dual crown fork starts creaking after a couple seasons at most.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The question is who do you want to tune it? If someone else, I would talk to the Avalanche guys and asked them as they are still, without much doubt in my mind, the best out there.

If you feel confident in tuning yourself, the Mattoc is a great option. No bladder and easily accessible shims.
I honestly don't care WHO tunes it, but it won't be me, I know that much....

I had Craig tune my Fox 34 XC race fork, thing is amazing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.