Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so we have another thread going about people's worst crashes...but sometimes the near misses and saves are even funnier.

2nd place: DH run at Beaver Creek on a demo AC1 on all borrowed gear. Hit a manmade board jump over a log and upon landing the visor on the helmet I was wearing swung down over my eyes. Of course it was a twisty little trail and I was booking...somehow managed to not die.

1st Place: DH trail up here in AK. Good powerline trail with a VERY steep loose section before a 90 degree turn onto another trail. Just before the steep section my rear tire went flat. I was going too fast to stop and the section coming up was too steep and loose to try and stop without crashing. Trying to slow down, my back tire is locked up (on a kona roast btw) and upon grabbing the front brakes, my rim just stops and the tire keeps on spinning. So I go skittering down this slope with NO useful brakes, and flying past the turn and down the powerline trail. I had never been down this trail before and up ahead I see a small rise then nothing then the trail far below that..."please don't be a cliff of some sort." Still attempting to stop I prepare for a drop of unknown size only to see it was another steep section WOOHOO! A good 1/4 mile past the turn I managed to stop and walk the bike back up to my cheering friends. Was shaking for a good 5 minutes after haha.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'll play.

A coupla years ago a bunch of us were on Porcupine Rim. It was a decent group of riders and the pace was....competitive. We had reached the singletrack of the last several miles of trail and were barreling along with diligence. Along one of the slabby, exposure-laden sections of singletrack, just to the port side of the big ol' dropoff to the Coloraddy River, a crack in the slab caught both of my wheels in such a way that whipped me right around on my axis, pointing me neatly in the direxion from whence i had just come. I hadn't even clipped out of the pedals. The Icegeek rolled to an elegant stop , touching his front wheel to mine and joined in the maniacal laughter.

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
1st time riding d-ville 2nd divide

[on a tracer with v-brakes. I was hauling down 2nd divide when i came up on a rider going real slow. it was straight part of ST but i was going fast engough that io couldnt stop. When i passed them his head was parallel to my leveled pedals as i passed him in the air. i couldnt beleive i landed it..

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
anthonys said:
I'll play.

A coupla years ago a bunch of us were on Porcupine Rim. It was a decent group of riders and the pace was....competitive. We had reached the singletrack of the last several miles of trail and were barreling along with diligence. Along one of the slabby, exposure-laden sections of singletrack, just to the port side of the big ol' dropoff to the Coloraddy River, a crack in the slab caught both of my wheels in such a way that whipped me right around on my axis, pointing me neatly in the direxion from whence i had just come. I hadn't even clipped out of the pedals. The Icegeek rolled to an elegant stop , touching his front wheel to mine and joined in the maniacal laughter.
Any accident close to a cliff is a definite pants-shi**er!!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My closest was a few weeks ago. I was going down a steep, rooted section of single track when my rear tire popped up in to the air off of a root. I was riding down this singletrack, going slow, on my front tire only for what felt like forever. Then, my front tire hit a root, and the bike completely stopped, thankfully coming back down on the rear tire, and not on my head ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.