Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best trail maps (for MTBing) in Michaux State Forest—any help is appreciated.

I have some of the official state forest maps and an ATV trail map...but I suspect there a lot of trails popular with MTBers that aren't on these maps...for example, I did a motorcycle dualsport rally there once...and rode some trails that were (literally) 6" wide singletrack that snaked through the woods like crazy...I'm pretty sure that trail wasn't on any map!

Thanks,
Scott

PS - I'm also looking for a nice 10-mile (or thereabouts) loop to ride this spring that's not too difficult (I'm in pathetic shape after not riding for 3 months! I need to break myself back in easily...)

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Looking HERE, is your best bet. I, myself, am going to be getting back into shape so I usually ride the forest roads near the Waynesboro water shed. Nothing like climbing to get you back into things. I have a few maps I got in gps form somewhere for Michaux. When I find them I'll upload them and post a link.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
There's maps of the race courses on the Race Michaux site.

http://www.gettysburgbicycle.com/michaux/

Even with the maps it can still be tough to navigate. I rode the Teaberry course the week after the race and even with semi fresh tracks of hundreds of riders I still lost the trail at a road crossing about 3/4 thru.

The ATV trails are probably the easiest to follow because all of the junctions are marked and correspond with the map but can be pretty challenging on a bike. Bring your A game.

Alternatively join up with the Mountainbikers of Michaux on a group ride. Great bunch and they know the place well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
SWriverstone said:
I'm looking for the best trail maps (for MTBing) in Michaux State Forest-any help is appreciated.

I have some of the official state forest maps and an ATV trail map...but I suspect there a lot of trails popular with MTBers that aren't on these maps...for example, I did a motorcycle dualsport rally there once...and rode some trails that were (literally) 6" wide singletrack that snaked through the woods like crazy...I'm pretty sure that trail wasn't on any map!

Thanks,
Scott

PS - I'm also looking for a nice 10-mile (or thereabouts) loop to ride this spring that's not too difficult (I'm in pathetic shape after not riding for 3 months! I need to break myself back in easily...)
I recently was turned on to a site www.purplelizard.com that has some maps of central Pa trails he is currently working on a map for Raystown Lake but he doesnt have anything for Michaux yet, he is going to get with the foresters at Michaux this Spring to produce a good trail map.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Blksocks said:
Looking HERE, is your best bet. I, myself, am going to be getting back into shape so I usually ride the forest roads near the Waynesboro water shed. Nothing like climbing to get you back into things. I have a few maps I got in gps form somewhere for Michaux. When I find them I'll upload them and post a link.
where on that site is there a map for Michaux?

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Raison d'être said:
I think what was meant, was to ride with the locals (MBM).
It's hard to navigate Michaux unless you really know where to look.
Yup. There actually aren't maps of the vast majority of trails popular with mountain bikers. They don't exist. Go hit up a MBM group ride... they may start fast, but the regroup enough to keep any newcomers from getting lost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Michaux is very bike friendly, if you see a small parking lot within the forest lines, it's most likely a trail head and rideable. Route 233 and/or 234 have many areas along the road. Like most have said, not much in the way of maps, and most trails split multiple times. It takes a long time to ride everything.

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Tank99 said:
Michaux is very bike friendly, if you see a small parking lot within the forest lines, it's most likely a trail head and rideable. Route 233 and/or 234 have many areas along the road. Like most have said, not much in the way of maps, and most trails split multiple times. It takes a long time to ride everything.
Just don't get lost and end up in someone's backyard down in Adams County...

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
Sunday June 19th, 2011

Tour de Cure at Michaux

Good way to learn some Michaux trails and support a good cause!

Sunday June 19th, 2011 - The Mountain Bike Challenge will return to Michaux State Forest where we will host the 16mile challenge, and a shorter (under 10 miles) ride for less experienced riders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.