Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best mtb helmets in 2019 in your opinion? My biggest gripes with bike helmets in the past were:

* too bulky
* too hot
* uncomfortable
* ridiculous "over the top" appearance

I did a basic google search and the Mavic Crossride helmet was one of the first results:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/mavic-crossride-helmet

Honestly, it looks pretty cool as far as helmets go, nice contoured shape and seems very well ventilated. Can anyone here speak from experience on this helmet? Based on my pet peeves and preferences that I mentioned, are there any other good mtb helmets that you think I should check out?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Identifying the "best" helmet for any individual is tough because it has to fit. I tried the Crossride a while back. As in, tried on in a shop. Liked the look, quality, etc., but didn't fit me worth a flip. Nothing wrong about the helmet, just not for my head. Always liked the look of some models from 6D and Smith, but current models just don't fit right either. The best fitting helmet for me right now, is Troy Lee's A1 MIPS. Probably the best fitting (for me) I've had to date. In fact, it's comfortable enough that if it looks like they'll change or drop that model, I'll buy a spare or two to hold me over until the next best fitting helmet comes along.

As for being "too hot"... I ride in Texas. When it's 100+, I honestly can't tell the difference between one design over the next for cooling. They're all hot...

·
Boom bap ambassador
898 Posts
The matrix is a balance between fit, safety features, and ventilation...oh, and fit since a crap fit or uncomfortable helmet is a deal breaker and also a safety issue.

I would say ventilation/cooling is going to be a factor of how much/little hair you have and where you ride.

Example - I have almost no hair on my head so cooling isn't an issue so much but sweat management is and in Arizona where I live it is hot but low humidity which is a different deal than @fredcook is referring to with the weather.

For me Bell helmets don't fit as well as Leatt, 661, Uvex, Smith, or Met so even if Bell churns out some amazing helmets I'm not likely to bite as they don't fit me as well based on experience.

If you sort that Competitive Cyclist link by price you will see a number of helmets that are in a similar price bracket to the Mavic.

They are going to vary by looks sure but right off the top the Bern helmets are going to be much warmer than a Kali, Bell, or IXS helmet based on the design.

What helmet(s) have you used recently and how did you feel about the fit of those helmets?

That might help to point in one direction versus another and then reviews are good to see if the reviewer has a feel for how the helmet works/doesn't work for their head shape.

Nothing is going to replace trying one on though so at the end of the day it might be a try to find at a brick an mortar or order two really close helmets from online retailer X and keep the one with the best fit if everything else is equal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Identifying the "best" helmet for any individual is tough because it has to fit.
This. If it don't fit it's no good. I just picked up a new helmet. My LBS doesn't stock anything that fits me. I had to drive about 50 miles one way to helmet shop. Walked into a store that had Bontrager and Giant. The Giants simply don't fit me while the Bontrager felt really nice. The young kid kept trying to put a Giant on me. Almost had to get grumpy with him to get him to understand that the best helmet is the one that fits properly.

As far as helmets being too hot the flip side of that is that they can keep sweat out of your eyes. Just look for one with bigger vents.

I really like the MIPS system. It just makes sense to have a system that allows some movement and that system seems to fit my head better. If you don't mind spending some money I'd look at the Wavecell technology ones that Bontrager/Trek has as well. That looks interesting.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
I did a basic google search and the Mavic Crossride helmet was one of the first results
What was your search criteria? I don't get that at all in Google.

I agree fit is key and you need to try it on, nothing can replace that.

While it's getting better trying to find fit, style, air flow, sweat management and safety is like the Holy Grail of helmets.

Good thing is you can eliminate the sweat management part using aftermarket gear, no matter what it is and air flow is somewhat obvious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have grown to hate the MIPS on my A2. In the chunk at speed my helmet has WAY too much movement. Not a fan at all.
That's really interesting. So far I've only used mine on the road. Oh well, I guess if it bothers me too much in the chunk and baby heads I'll just have to look for something else for the trail. That's the benefit of only paying 54 bucks for the thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,879 Posts
I got a wavecell helmet when they came and and I really disliked it for a number of reasons.

Not comfortable. I found the membrane dug into my head, I just couldn't get it to fit without it feeling like a cheese grater was on my skull.
Heavy. The extra 33gms over a MiPs helmet doesn't sound like much but I really noticed it.
Felt hot: Maybe because of the points above I got frustrated and was more aware of it but I could never enjoy the couple of rides I did with it.

I went back to my Bontrager MiPs helmet and even thought the wavecell is supposed to reduce the chances of concussion a lot I'm going to stick with it as I believe I'm less likely to crash if I'm actually comfortable and relaxed on the bike.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,183 Posts
I am partial to Giro MIPS-2 MTB helmets. They fit well on my head and the arrangement of the pads keeps sweat out of my eyes. Bell also makes some that I would consider.

I own a POC Trabec Race also and never have liked it. The pads are too narrow (fell apart quickly and didn't fully cover the velcro effectively so often pulled at my thinning hair) and their customer service was super unhelpful.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have grown to hate the MIPS on my A2. In the chunk at speed my helmet has WAY too much movement. Not a fan at all.
I noticed that the last time I was trying on helmets. I thought it was just me, or maybe that particular helmet (flaw). I don't really notice movement on the A1 MIPS, even with a GoPro mounted on it. And for me, the A1 fits better than the A2, which is why I went with it.

·
EDR
10,422 Posts
I recently went new helmet shopping. Certainly each person 'fits' different styles however for ME..

-Kali Maya 2.0 Revolt - I'm currently using this helmet. Fit is great, super comfy. Has some newer tech but not MIPS type but low impact density layer or some jargon like that. Love the helmet but not the retention system (2 movable sliders, and it's tough to make both move), dial option is better imo.
-TLD A1. Even slightly better fit that the Maya for me. Love the fit, visor could move a bit more but no biggie. It's a fan favorite, don't let it's age sway you like it's old school or something. If I didn't just buy a Kali I'd go get one today, still might.
-TLD A1 (or A2, can't remember which) MIPS - newer tech, not quite as comfy on my head due to MIPS shield or maybe it's shape is just a bit different, IDK but personally I favor the A1
-Smith Forefront - This helmet fit me pretty good, but not nearly comfy as the others. The thin plastic parts that help make up the adjustment system were deformed a bit and just felt too thin on the demo I put on. Seemed a little flimsy compared to others I was looking at.
-kali Lunati. Less expensive and great fit. Just wasn't feeling the overall look for some reason or maybe marketing led me to believe it's not 'hard-core' enough, lol Great option though for quality and lower price point.

I ride in Phx, AZ. It's super hot. Can't say any of one of my helmets ever provided any more real world 'cooling' over any other one in 15 years, so I no longer worry about it. If it has big holes in it good enough for me.

As everyone will say, you gotta go find a good selection or make several trips and try some on....or find a free return site otherwise it's a crapshoot.

·
No Clue Crew
7,593 Posts
I've noticed something similar with several MIPS helmets. I, too, thought it was just me since my TLD Stage MIPS doesn't have unwanted movement; perhaps because it's full-face.

Every half-shell MIPS helmet I've tried on has had that weird movement, like the helmet is isolated from the movement of your head. I suppose that's the point, but it sure is annoying. Worst is the new Oakley helmet, which I really wanted to love. I nodded my head in the store and the helmet just kept on moving, like a blown shock absorber in an old car. Couldn't imagine trying to trail ride while wearing it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've got a long, oval head and the best fitting helmets to me are the Leatt helmets. Both the DBX 2.0 and the DBX 3.0 all-mountain or whatever they call it. They have their own 360 deals inside that rotate the helmet but you never feel it. I even got one of the 5.0 full-face helmets cuz they fit me so well. If you're egg-headed, you might try one.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,910 Posts
Check the virginia tech helmet tests, the A1 Mips was the best MTB helmet tested, but-sit tight for some news on another helmet that got tested there, it will be impressive news on a safety front. A lot of the helmets mentioned in this thread, performed VERY poorly.
That is impressive, good job Troy Lee!

Who would have thought the $75 helmet would be the safest based on this test!

·
EDR
10,422 Posts
I've noticed something similar with several MIPS helmets. I, too, thought it was just me since my TLD Stage MIPS doesn't have unwanted movement; perhaps because it's full-face.

Every half-shell MIPS helmet I've tried on has had that weird movement, like the helmet is isolated from the movement of your head. I suppose that's the point, but it sure is annoying. Worst is the new Oakley helmet, which I really wanted to love. I nodded my head in the store and the helmet just kept on moving, like a blown shock absorber in an old car. Couldn't imagine trying to trail ride while wearing it.
Tried on the A1 mips again today at REI specifically looking for any odd movement, or non movement that might bug me in the real world. With the straps secure and bobbing my head around I didn't notice anything unusual. Of course you can take your hand and swivel the helmet on your head a little bit but just moving around it seemed okay. Not the same as riding through a rock garden but I'm going to give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.