Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that gas is $2.40 and it's 2 hrs to Fruita I'm shopping. Whats the highest gas economy
car but best for jamming up and down fire and mining roads?

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
Suzuki Tracker....the baby one.

Otherwise a Honda Civic is probably very able to cope with gravel roads.
Subaru Impreza Outback won't have a problem for sure but it depends how much you want to spend.

·
Part-time rider
210 Posts
Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus...

Almost any compact car can handle off-road with right tuning (tire, shock, etc).

K-Zero
p.s. I drive Toyota RAV4, and it handles fire road no problem.

Attachments

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Wish fuel was that cheap here

its more like $5.7 per US gallon here in the UK!

Stu

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
look for an early 90s civic vx hatchback. They might not be quite that cheap but they got like 52-57 miles to the gallon.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Whip said:
At that price, not much. Try an older Subie GL wagon. look up singletrack. He's from your neck of the woods and has one quite similar to this:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Old Subarus in general would work for you. I had a Justy for my first car and with a roof rack I was able to transport bikes and lots of gear with the back seat down. It had good clearance, and was surprisingly agile. It lacked a bit in pep (3 liter engine) but got good gas milage (about 30 mpg with bikes). My sister's BF had a subaru--whatever was up from a Justy in the late 80s. He used to go around on snowy days and tow people out of ditches with it because it got such better traction than most cars and trucks. But finding an old Subaru that has not completely rusted out could be difficult.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Outback, Volkswagon, Ford.

Whip said:
Now that gas is $2.40 and it's 2 hrs to Fruita I'm shopping. Whats the highest gas economy
The Subaru Outback gets 19 city and 25mpg hwy. Not great mileage but better than a full size SUV by far. The outback would be great on fire and gravel roads.

The Volkswagon Jetta diesel station wagon manual 4cylinder gets 36 city and 47 hwy.
The Volkswagon midsize station wagon passat gets 27city and 38 hwy mpg.

Jeep is putting out a diesel Liberty later this year that is said to get 22 city and 27 mpg highway, which is 20 to 30% better than the gas version.

Of course, Ford has the hybrid Escape that gets 33 city and 29 mpg highway.(approx).

The Honda Element is available in all wheel drive and gets 21 city and 24 hwy mpg. The Element has a ton of room for hauling gear though.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21469.shtml
http://hffo.cuna.org/story.html?doc_id=835&print=plain&sub_id=12433

·
Registered
374 Posts
singletrack said:
then $350 for the lift and another $400 for tires and wheels. It's fukin' unstoppable.

www.ozified.com for the lifts
www.usmb.net for everthing else.

I post on USMB as singletrack as well.
Wooooha! That looks perfect. Thankas muchachas.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
They are roads

Whip said:
Just get a small FWD car. I have taken an '82 Nissan Sentra down some roads that people were 4 wheeling on (in the 80s). That car got nearly 50 MPG on the highway. I take my '96 Mercury Mistake all over. I love crappy little cars that I don't care much about. That way when I ding the crap out of it on a mining road I don't get upset. I only wish that my crappy little car were a wagon so that I could fit more stuff in it.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Whip said:
for $1k look for a hyundai accent hatchback. we have one and it works great. right after we got ours, they went to the 10 year 10k mile warranty. but the car is the same.. we are coming up on 100k and have done nothing to the car besides oil changes and some stuff that broke because i drove over a huge frozen snowbank.

hyundais are reliable and have bad resale value, so used ones are dirt cheap.

i have taken ours on some pretty bad roads at high speeds and never had problems.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea I second the vote for Hyundai's, we have a Santa Fe that has been awsome, not one problem yet after 55,000 miles. I think the resale value is slowly going up, but people still think of them as the POS that first came to the states. But you can get a brand new Elantra for like $8k, so finding a decent used one for a $1k shouldn't be too hard.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
My parents just bought a used early 90s GMC Tracker (aka Suzuki Sidekick) for $1500 Cdn.

I've been impressed with its off road capability actually. They've been out 4x4ing with my wife and I in her early 90s Jeep YJ and they've kept up with no problem. The Tracker has a little less ground clearance so my Dad put new larger tires on it this week (it needed tires anyway). There is quite a bit of aftermarket stuff if you want to get carried away.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts