Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am waiting for my 2014 Specialized Rockhopper Black on Black to arrive ( on order ). I am purchasing some components to make a few upgrades.
1- easton ec70 xc carbon bars 2- VP Vice Pedals (black anodized) 3- Syntace p6 carbon seatpost. Which brings me to my main question at this moment..
Should I replace the stem with a carbon fiber unit, which brand(s), what specs are recommended? ( I assume different extensions are available, as are materials, weights, designs. etc.) Keeping my mods to an affordable level and just enough to personalize the bike for south Florida.( No mountains yet.)
I may eventually upgrade the forks for improved suspension, ( Suntour has some sort of trade-in program that offers credit for the current forks sent in.)
But for now-I am inquiring about the stem..and appeciate all the advice and opinions given . thanks in advance!

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Specialized makes some very nice affordable stems that you can adjust the angle on by rotating a shim:

Specialized Bicycle Components

As for whether or not you should and what you should get, I usually look for a few bargain stems to have around so I can try some different length and angle stems. Then, after I find a configuration I like, I get a nicer stem in that size.

Carbon stem on your Rockhopper?

Personally, I think it would be like putting a diamond encrusted shifter on a Ford. Even going beyond the aesthetics, saving 50g on a 30lb bike is not worth the investment IMHO. The ROI just isn't there for you IMHO. Instead of going crazy on upgrades, you would be better off just getting a Stumpjumper hardtail or a Crave.

The upgrade on the fork OTOH, would be one of the few upgrades I would recommend.

There are some carbon seatposts that will smooth out the ride a little and might be nice. I would rather have a dropper post (even on a hardtail), but that's just me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMHO, get the bike first.... I honestly have gone through 3 stems on my SJ Comp HT and I HAD the bike in my posession through all 3 - settled on a 80mm +5deg

I can dig getting a nicer bar (I have the same EC70 XC bar).... but getting "fit" type items like the stem or post *I think* are largely dependent on tweaking your postion.... and how would you know what position you like on your bike until you have hte bike in your posession?

Maybe you have your position dialed, and if that is the case, I would go aluminum. I have 5 bikes, 1 has a carbon stem (which is actually heavier then the stem it replaced) but I was messing with that bikes position and I had an extra stem in the length I need and the color scheme I was shooting for handy.... and it just happened to be carbon.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.