Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be putting an order in soon for a new set of wheels and other misc stuff and was wondering where the best place for me to order from would be and getting stuff into Canada. I saw the thread about Jenson and their new modified shipping, so that looks like a promising lead, but anywhere else I should look as well? Just getting back into riding after a multi-year absence, and some of my gear needs to be replaced...

Thanks for any leads you can give me!

Tim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I just saw a set of new 717 Mavic's laced to XTR hubs for less then $300 U.S. :eek: :eek:
This is an amazing price !!!
As long as you don't get gouged on shipping .
Always try to get shipping done by USPS .

I bought a set of 717's laced to XT hub's for about the same price but only had to pay $26.95 U.S. to have then shipped to me from Houston . :thumbsup:

I'll try to find the link .

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...yeah, but will the 717's take the abuse from my clydesdale self? I'm not a hard rider at all (all XC type stuff, no real drops etc...so ride stuff light) but was looking at the XT/Rhyno Lite XL wheelset on Jenson's website....as the Deore hubs did NOT get a good review....

Also, anyone know the quick and dirty diff between the Rhyno Lites and the XL's? Checked out Sun's website, but the rim advert page has fonts that are just too damn small for my blind eyes...

Tim

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
My birthday is coming up, so i think i may be treating myself to some 717s on XT. I can get them LBS style for a decent price, so i think i will swing that way.

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Sullycanpara said:
...yeah, but will the 717's take the abuse from my clydesdale self? I'm not a hard rider at all (all XC type stuff, no real drops etc...so ride stuff light) but was looking at the XT/Rhyno Lite XL wheelset on Jenson's website....as the Deore hubs did NOT get a good review....

Also, anyone know the quick and dirty diff between the Rhyno Lites and the XL's? Checked out Sun's website, but the rim advert page has fonts that are just too damn small for my blind eyes...

Tim
WOOKIE!!!
funny finding you on this Forum;)

welcome!

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Sullycanpara said:
Going to be putting an order in soon for a new set of wheels and other misc stuff and was wondering where the best place for me to order from would be and getting stuff into Canada. I saw the thread about Jenson and their new modified shipping, so that looks like a promising lead, but anywhere else I should look as well? Just getting back into riding after a multi-year absence, and some of my gear needs to be replaced...

Thanks for any leads you can give me!

Tim
Timmy,

I usually order stuff from Universal Cycle.
http://www.universalcycles.com/
They ship to Canada with USPS and they always have coupons to help cut the cost down.
The other good source is Wheel World, I picked up a nice set of Mavic wheels for Sara's bike from them.
http://wheelworld.com/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi,

I have used Pricepoint, Jenson and Larry from Mountain Cyclery.
Had good experience with Jenson, decent with Pricepoint and great with Larry. Email Larry, tell him you are from Canada, he will ship with USPS and give you good prices. It might take a bit longer but he is a great guy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought Jenson was the best as well. I needed a whole bunch of stuff.... frame, carbon 29" fork, XT shifters/derailleurs, thompson post, FSA stem, FSA crankset, headset etc. Did my homework and searced all of the different web places and price matched everything on Jenson to get the best price in one place. Then, just out of curiousity, I contacted Tall Tree Cycles (in Ottawa) who carry what I was looking for. I sent them a list of all of the stuff I wanted (approx. $1500 worth)....didn't mentioned anything about mailorder...and asked what they could do for the package. By the time I factored in $30 US for shipping plus ~8% exchange rate they came in about $30 cheaper than Jenson (TTC said they would ship for n/c). I was really surprised and as you can imagine that is the was I am going to go.

So put together a specific list of what you want and give your LBS a shot!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Speedgoat was really good with me. Took the cost of the US shipping which they were giving for free off of the price to ship to Canada so it was only like 11 bucks to ship. I ended up paying less taxes than I thought. Competitive Cycle was good too. Ordered a headset right before they closed on Tuesday night and got it Friday.

Everytime I need a part I call all the LBS's and it never ends up to be cheaper. As much as I would like to support them, when you call to get a Hope Pro II hubset, and no one has ever heard of it, and then when someone does, they tell you it is $450 for the rear hub alone (when you could get the set for about $250 on Speedgoat), it can get a bit ridiculous.

Sperky: that is awesome that the LBS came in cheaper. I will keep that place in mind!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Speedgoat was really good with me. Took the cost of the US shipping which they were giving for free off of the price to ship to Canada so it was only like 11 bucks to ship. I ended up paying less taxes than I thought. Competitive Cycle was good too. Ordered a headset right before they closed on Tuesday night and got it Friday.

Everytime I need a part I call all the LBS's and it never ends up to be cheaper. As much as I would like to support them, when you call to get a Hope Pro II hubset, and no one has ever heard of it, and then when someone does, they tell you it is $450 for the rear hub alone (when you could get the set for about $250 on Speedgoat), it can get a bit ridiculous.

Sperky: that is awesome that the LBS came in cheaper. I will keep that place in mind!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm definitely going to give my LBS a shot at the business...even if they're a few bucks more, I'd rather go that route for sure...they're the ones that will be fixing the stuff, so I'd expect they'll know what they sell....but if the price diff is big it's good to know there are some decent mail order places that'll send stuff to Canada.

And yeah, most times I've ordered from the U.S. I only get dinged for taxes...sometimes you get away with it, sometimes not, so we'll see. It'll end up being several hundreds of bucks, so here's hoping I can get away with no tax :p

Tim

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Sullycanpara said:
Yeah, I saw a guy crying about how he got bumped into on the trail a couple posts back...just KNEW it was you... hee hee....

Tim
Timmy,

ya that was me crying :prft:
too bad you weren't leading the ride that day...
it would have been like hitting a brickwall :madman:

hee hee hee

We'll have to hook up for a ride sometime.
I heard that Ken went out and bought himself a bike.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Jenson for sure.

For the record, I have XT-717 wheels on my Kona (XC bike) and they have held up well to my Clyde self.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.