Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, while I get the majority of my MTB information online, I really enjoy magazines as well, and have been reading some really mixed reviews online of MTB magazines. Does anyone have any favorites that they can recommend? Looking to get 2 or 3, so the more suggestions, the merrier. Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I subscribe to just about every one there is. Of all of them I think Mountain Biking UK is the best, however it's expensive. "Bike" is a good one on this side of the atlantic. I get "Mountain Bike" with my "Bicycling" subscription which is also quite good.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I like Dirt Rag 'cause it's east coast and I enjoy the stories/articles. BIKE is also good, good stories, and they have the best photography.

Probably my favorite tho, is What Mountain Bike - a UK mag. They actually do reviews on "everyman" componets/bikes on a regular basis. Sure, they still review the $5,000+ dollar bikes, but they also have comparisons for bikes hunder $1000. Their reviews/comparisions are the best IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
dgaddis1 said:
Probably my favorite tho, is What Mountain Bike - a UK mag. They actually do reviews on "everyman" componets/bikes on a regular basis. Sure, they still review the $5,000+ dollar bikes, but they also have comparisons for bikes hunder $1000. Their reviews/comparisions are the best IMO.
2nd that, really good magazine. Good component comparisons too every month. We have some pretty good mags here in the UK.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dirt Rag, Bike and Mountain Bike Action - I've let 2 subscriptions to DR expire, then they print a killer issue I pay big bucks for at the store and I'm hooked again. The other 2 I pick up now and then from the store.

·
Registered
125 Posts
when you put Mountain Biking UK and What Mountain Bike side by side they're very similar, both great mags, the problem I have with WMB is the back section of "reviews" that never really changes, it's somewhat of a waste of pages to show me the same bikes and gear in there every month.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Id have to say Bike too. I like how they "theme" almost every issue (budget issue, womens issue, trail of the year issue, etc etc). Plus they're photos and articles are top notch! Just enough tech articles, but with lots of passion articles and trip reports. It always gets me stoked to ride! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I can't fathom how England, a country with about 10% (I think) of our population, can have two magazines, Mountain Biking & What Mountain Bike, that are larger and, arguably, better than any USA rag. I wish that I were still able to read German since Bike (I think that's its title) also appears excellent from some translated articles that I've read.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like the more meaningful content in Mountain Bike magazine.

MBA's okay, but their reviews need caveats like "We cannot recommend *blank* because *blank, blank, & blank* pay us huge advertising dollars, and you're not a true mountain biker unless you have a carbon-fiber-dual-suspension-niner with a riser-bar, bar-ends, latest geo, and is fully integrated to the Nth degree".

Could you repeat the question?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I guess right now I like Mountain Flyer and MBA the best----close 2d goes to UK's Singletrack...and a distant 3d would be Dirt Rag..closely followed by uh so so mags like Bike, Bicycling etc. Mountain Bike was good when it was monthly. And I miss Mountain Biking (the US version) who had great destination articles and better than average interviews with the "stars" of the sport.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
I guess right now I like Mountain Flyer and MBA the best----close 2d goes to UK's Singletrack...and a distant 3d would be Dirt Rag..closely followed by uh so so mags like Bike, Bicycling etc. Mountain Bike was good when it was monthly. And I miss Mountain Biking (the US version) who had great destination articles and better than average interviews with the "stars" of the sport.
Strangely enough the editor of that once great mag, Zap, writes for MBA now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.