Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I never needed a lock before because my bike is either inside house, inside car or under my but. I'm going to Whistler and now I need a lock. Whats the best one? Do I need several to lock the tires to the frame?

Scott

·
Registered
571 Posts
The Krytonite NY chain lock is one of the best and that's what I use.

It's heavy, but since you are not commuting with it around your chest like a messenger, it's good because it's burly and it's long so you can loop it around anything. It's the thickest chain lock around.

You should pop off your wheels and seatpost and take that inside with you. But if you can't take that in, then you need to loop the lock through it two. The chain isn't long enough to loop through everything, so you'll need to pop off one of the wheels and position it next to the frame and then run the chain through it.

Don't get any of those metal wire locks that people used on campus, those are for the birds and a good pair of cutters will slice through that like a pie.

I think the Krypto NY chain lock is around $90, but well worth it. And also, don't get too excited about locks that claim a $3500 or more replacement guarantee. It's not easy getting a claim paid if someone jacks your bike. There is a long list of things that need to be proven to get claim. One being that you the thugs need to leave behind the actual lock when your bike is stolen. My ride was jacked and they took the lock with it and I was sh#t out of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts