Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best location in North America for blue trails

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  benchcomptons 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. Trying to narrow down options for a week long biking trip for myself and my daughter within the next month or two. She is at the stage of what I would consider intermediate blue runs, both physically and technically. Just looking for great options. I don't care about how close it is to me or cost. As a benchmark, she loves Fernie BC. We have been there lots though. Looking for something different.

Thanks tons guys.

Edit: stumbled across this...

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/lists/biking/best-mountain-biking-towns/

#5 ·
All great locations. No doubt. Been to each LOTS. But a huge scarcity of trails my daughter would enjoy. Apart from the lame-ish XC trail network near the hill in Whistler, and MacPherson in Revy, there's not a lot she would like in either region.

Golden would be a better choice but I was hoping for something a little more interesting in terms of the non-biking activities.

Think I am going to lock something down for Cumberland and area, and call it a day. I think we would both enjoy it there. I will drive there so I will have access to the entire island.

#7 ·
There's a lot of variety, but for a couple days suggestion; one day up lord of the squirrels in Whistler (very big all day beautiful alpine xc ride) and in Squamish I love the Alice lake trails, a triple lap of Rupert /leave of absence /credit line would be a fun day. There's tons more obviously, you can pm me if you want more or the specifics of all those. Those are all harder blue/black runs, nothing crazy but nothing boring either.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Just a head's up on Park City. Although the trails themselves are definitely "blue" there is a lot of climbing. If your daughter isn't a climbing fiend it might be worth looking into one of the shuttle services.

#13 ·
I know the trip has already been planned, but:

Bentonville for sure.

Air BNB it in town. Many restaurants are closed on Sunday and even on Monday, so maybe plan around this or decide to eat in. We stayed a few blocks form downtown and had the ability to ride out to crystal falls, slaughter pen and then blowing springs and back 40.

Back 40 (22mi) could be ridden clockwise and counter clockwise for two different experiences.

I would not consider a single trail I rode there to be a black. Sedona on the other hand was very difficult to find any trails that weren't solidly intermediate other than the bell rock loop.

Next year we will probably do another trip to BC and stay on the north shore and ride ride ride. I've done a 4 hour guided tour there and there experience is unreal.

#14 ·
If she likes fernie, then she is good to ride in most places.

South of the Border:
-Park City by reputation is amazing, as other have said.
-Sedona actually has a ton of blue level trails and there really isn't a lot of climbing. But compared to Fernie just about no place has a lot of climbing.
-Oregon is basically covered in Blue trails. Tons of good riding there.
-Bellingham has superb net work with lots of blue level trails.

I would recommend Sedona though. Super unique location and complete different then anything in Canada.

In BC:
Honestly blue level trails in areas without rediculous amounts of climbing are difficult to find.
-Both Golden and Revelstoke have good net-works but you have all ready ridden those.
-I am based in Kamloops, we have good blue trails but there is a lot of climbing.
-Penticton is really good but again lots of climbing.
-Rose valley in Kelowna might work well for you.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.