Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at building up a set of wheels for XC use. I have been using XC717 on XT hubs and have been perfectly happy with them. But I am switching to disc brakes and need new wheels. I don’t know much about hubs outside of XT and XTR hubs. The XTs can be had cheap but are heavy in 6 bolt configuration. The XTRs are a option but I don’t see them in 6 bolt mounts. I don’t know much about Swiss/King/Hope/ect except that they are pricy. What would you guys suggest are the best quality and lightest hub that is reasonably price? Do any of the mentioned companies make a good entry level hub or one that I can find on the used market? I wouldn’t mind getting a good enough hub that I can keep them for a long time and replace rims as they go south. What would i need to buy inorder to have something nice enough to be worth keeping and rebuilding.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The new SRAM hubs are strong and reasonable weight but only 12 point engagement on the FH Body (your XT's are 18).

Transition makes some pretty good hubs, solid with 22 poe FH Body but not really light (their more of a AM/FR/DH company).

DMR Revolver hubs are solid and fairly light, rear is 18 poe on the FH Body

Halo Spin Doctor hubs, 30 poe and solid for a very good price. Probably have to order from CRC in the UK to get them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What about ZTR hubs and A2Z hubs? I'm in the market for reasonably priced hubs as well. Hopes, lots of good reviews but aren't they on the heavy side and more expensive than Stan's ZTR hubs or A2Z hubs? I don't want to highjack your tread but I guess the answers may interests you too :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.