Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I know UST and light don't really mix but light for the breed, all right? Anyway, I would appreciate some help in choosing a new UST race tire for east-coast type conditions: mud, soft loamy stuff, rocks, roots, mud, rocks, roots, mud...you get the idea. I have used the Michelin Comp S for the past few years and feel it is time for a change. They are expensive, wear fast, and are kind of weak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of the Kenda Karma...

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Kaparzo said:
Okay, I know UST and light don't really mix but light for the breed, all right? Anyway, I would appreciate some help in choosing a new UST race tire for east-coast type conditions: mud, soft loamy stuff, rocks, roots, mud, rocks, roots, mud...you get the idea. I have used the Michelin Comp S for the past few years and feel it is time for a change. They are expensive, wear fast, and are kind of weak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of the Panaracer Fire XC Pro...
The Panaracer Fire XC Pro is particularly heavy so this is probably not a good option.

Funnily enough your riding conditions sound very similar to mine, nice and loamy, rocks, roots, wet roots, mud, roots, mud etc etc. If it it is drier and you can get away with it; something like a Hutchinson Python Tubless light would be good, otherwise a Mosquito could be a winner too. Kenda Karma would be alright if it wasn't too muddy.

I think its going to be hard to find something light and tubeless. Thats the only reason why I suggested the Tubeless light tyres by Hutchinson becuase they are reasonably light. The Comp S tends to be a good all-rounder in your sort of conditions, but my personal preference does be Hutchinson Mosquitos or something like a blue groove. Mud never gets to be a really serious issues for me - more so wet rocks and roots, so go for tires better suited in those conditions.

Check http://weightweenies.starbike.com for weights of UST tyres.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kaparzo said:
Okay, I know UST and light don't really mix but light for the breed, all right? Anyway, I would appreciate some help in choosing a new UST race tire for east-coast type conditions: mud, soft loamy stuff, rocks, roots, mud, rocks, roots, mud...you get the idea. I have used the Michelin Comp S for the past few years and feel it is time for a change. They are expensive, wear fast, and are kind of weak. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of the Kenda Karma...
I had success with Python UST for XC racing in New Jersey on a hardtail.
Probably not the best choice for really wet conditions though.
Depends on how gnarly your local XC race courses are I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts