Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on a new lap top that is able to handle video editing with the gopro HD. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the computer stuff. I won't be getting too elaborate with my videos. I need to purchase a new laptop anyway so I figured I may as well get one that can handle editing. I have no loyalties to either mac or pc, so I'm open to both. Just want a good system. What is everybody else using?

·
mtb
155 Posts
I have a dell studio 1555 and its pretty good. Dual boot with 7 and Ubuntu. If I did it again i would get a Mac just because I record a lot of music.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I do a lot of my stuff with iMovie on a MacBook Pro 17" when I'm not on my 27" iMac. They all play very nicely with my GoPro footage and SD cards. Easy in, great quality out.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
Using a Lenovo dual core 2ghz (I think...) 64bit with 4gb ram. For just the GoPro easy-edit stuff, it works fine.

Starting to get in to the editing more, and also actual camcorders and Hdslr's - so I'll probably double my ram in the near future...

·
since 4/10/2009
30,807 Posts
I'll be using my desktop primarily - on it I have a quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, and 512mb vid RAM. Thinking of doubling my RAM and upgrading my video card to something with 1GB RAM and a CUDA multi-GPU. That will also help with rendering maps with high-res satellite imagery.

My laptop is an HP with dual core processor and 3MB shared RAM. It's good for offloading content from SD cards when I'm on the road, but I don't even attempt to process anything with it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have an Asus laptop with a 2.54 dual core, 4 gig memory, and a nvidia graphics card with 1 gig dedicated. All together it does pretty good with Sony Vegas. This computer is over a year old now, so I bet you could find a lot that is even better spec'ed for less money than I paid for it. Asus in general has been a great laptop for me. Not a single problem with it. (knock on wood)

-Brett

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
jhazard said:
Using a Lenovo dual core 2ghz (I think...) 64bit with 4gb ram. For just the GoPro easy-edit stuff, it works fine.

Starting to get in to the editing more, and also actual camcorders and Hdslr's - so I'll probably double my ram in the near future...

I have a similiar set up, with really nice video card (don't know if this make much difference), but anycow, do you uncompress your GoPro footage?

My rig is able to digest the footage directly from the GoPro, so I haven't actually tried to do a loss-less uncompression yet. Before I start loading up a bunch of freeware that will uncompress the files, do you or anybody else thinkg I'm missing out much by not doing it?

Here is short example of what I'm kicking out:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Get a mac and use imovie. It's probably the simplest setup. definitely get the new macbook pro as opposed to last years as the the chipset and processors have been updated from last year.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
go for mac if you can afford it, mac book pro,
i myself have a acer aspire 6935.
with intel core duo t9400 processor, 2.53ghz
nvidia geforce 9600m graphics card,
4gb ddr ram
this had handled high def vids fine up to now, from my contour hd/hd1080p sony hdr sr12 camcorder, sanyo xacti camcorder, and cannon eos 7d,
the only problem i find is after doing lots of video editing the laptop slows down and takes ages to load up, i usually do a factory reset every 5 or 6 months, i think its just windows vsta thats **** and causes this problem though,

·
Registered
320 Posts
aintnothang said:
I have a dell studio 1555 and its pretty good. Dual boot with 7 and Ubuntu. If I did it again i would get a Mac just because I record a lot of music.
F*ck you. Adobe Audition.
tscheezy said:
I do a lot of my stuff with iMovie on a MacBook Pro 17" when I'm not on my 27" iMac. They all play very nicely with my GoPro footage and SD cards. Easy in, great quality out.
F*ck you
jhazard said:

You're cool!
TXTony said:
I use a Macbook Pro...Imovie is easy and fast..
F*ck you
NateHawk said:
I'll be using my desktop primarily - on it I have a quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, and 512mb vid RAM. Thinking of doubling my RAM and upgrading my video card to something with 1GB RAM and a CUDA multi-GPU. That will also help with rendering maps with high-res satellite imagery.

My laptop is an HP with dual core processor and 3MB shared RAM. It's good for offloading content from SD cards when I'm on the road, but I don't even attempt to process anything with it.
You're Cool!
Carraig042 said:
I have an Asus laptop with a 2.54 dual core, 4 gig memory, and a nvidia graphics card with 1 gig dedicated. All together it does pretty good with Sony Vegas. This computer is over a year old now, so I bet you could find a lot that is even better spec'ed for less money than I paid for it. Asus in general has been a great laptop for me. Not a single problem with it. (knock on wood)

-Brett
You're also Cool!
Rehuel said:
Another vote for Mac Book Pro and iMovie here.
F*ck you
u2metoo said:
I have a similiar set up, with really nice video card (don't know if this make much difference), but anycow, do you uncompress your GoPro footage?

My rig is able to digest the footage directly from the GoPro, so I haven't actually tried to do a loss-less uncompression yet. Before I start loading up a bunch of freeware that will uncompress the files, do you or anybody else thinkg I'm missing out much by not doing it?

Here is short example of what I'm kicking out:
Not sure about you....
monstertiki said:
Get a mac and use imovie. It's probably the simplest setup. definitely get the new macbook pro as opposed to last years as the the chipset and processors have been updated from last year.
F*ck you
jollybeggar said:
Get the Mac, it'll be the last computer you'll ever buy.
F*ck you
delirian said:
go for mac if you can afford it, mac book pro,
i myself have a acer aspire 6935.
with intel core duo t9400 processor, 2.53ghz
nvidia geforce 9600m graphics card,
4gb ddr ram
this had handled high def vids fine up to now, from my contour hd/hd1080p sony hdr sr12 camcorder, sanyo xacti camcorder, and cannon eos 7d,
the only problem i find is after doing lots of video editing the laptop slows down and takes ages to load up, i usually do a factory reset every 5 or 6 months, i think its just windows vsta thats **** and causes this problem though,
**** you, Try living without right click.....

Don't buy a damn mac. Its honestly a fad and way too expensive. Here is a quick comparison of a 15 inch i7 system(vs Dell):
Componet: Dell | mac
CPU 2.8GHz | 2.0GHz
Ram 4GB 1066mhz| 4GB 1333mhz
HDD 500GB 7200rpm | 500GB 5400rpm
Video Both Intel integrated
Dell: ~$1300
mac: ~$1800
Thats a macbook pro, the regular macbook CANNOT compete with a PC, because a Core2Duo CPU at $1000.... F*CK THAT. I can get an i5 for >$800 Shipped
I work with computers for a living and have done my share of video editing. I will only run Windows and Linux....and real BSD =P

And all thost "F*ck yous" up there, I'm just kidding =P

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Funny, but I just taught an informal iMovie workshop in advance of a local film festival we are having, and a lot of PC users showed up and were uniformly green with jealousy. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
u2metoo said:

I'm guessing your editing app is uncompressing the footage in the background and using that for edits. I think Vegas and now Premiere do that for you. iMovie also will do that. As to the format those app convert to for editing, I'm not sure if it's a lossless format. But from my experience, there's no need to worry about that unless you are doing a lot of fancy transitions or overlay graphics. And in some cases that won't even matter. So I guess I'm not really answering your question... argh... IMO, don't worry about it unless you notice a significant degradation in quality. Also, having to manage the manual conversion from the original footage to another format for editing is a pain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've recently moved away from Mac/Desktop (Final Cut) to a MacBook Pro and iMovie combo and really appreciating the lighter footprint/speed/mobility. I particularly like AirDrop for transferring files from the iPhone to laptop, and iMovie direct export to YouTube.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts