Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a older camelbak for 5years. Works but its getting old and beat up.

I liked everything about it except that it had no ventilation on the back surface so my back would be a puddle of sweat after a ride. While its probably impossible to keep the back fully dry, I wanted something with better air flow.

Out of the new models 2010 or 2011, what do you guys use or recommend from 1st hand experience? I need a pak for 1-3hr rides that holds a spare, pump/tools.

Thanks for your input.
:thumbsup:

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Check out Deuter and Vaude packs, they both have mesh back that keeps the main pack off your back so there is like half inch of space between your back and the pack.
I got one of each over the Winter (chainlove deals) so haven't had a chance to use them yet.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Lots of good options now, as the companies seem to have finally understood the importance of that kind of ventilation. I have a couple Camelbaks and a Hydrapak all with great ventilation. My main pack is a Camelbak Mule and it feels good in our California summers

That said, the single biggest difference I've found is not the pack but the shirt. Anything cotton will just hold on to the sweat and get clingy, esp where the pack makes contact, but a good wicking fabric will pull some of that moisture away even from under the contact points and makes everything feel much better. It's a pretty cheap upgrade too, as my $10 wicking shirts from Target have worked great for me for years now

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Deuter, Ergon or Osprey. They have models that keep the pack off your back, allowing air to flow in between.

I've had the Deuter Race X Air for about a year now. Very well designed pack, works well, and it does keep you cooler.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
same here

boomn said:
Lots of good options now, as the companies seem to have finally understood the importance of that kind of ventilation. I have a couple Camelbaks and a Hydrapak all with great ventilation. My main pack is a Camelbak Mule and it feels good in our California summers

That said, the single biggest difference I've found is not the pack but the shirt. Anything cotton will just hold on to the sweat and get clingy, esp where the pack makes contact, but a good wicking fabric will pull some of that moisture away even from under the contact points and makes everything feel much better. It's a pretty cheap upgrade too, as my $10 wicking shirts from Target have worked great for me for years now
This is right on.

The fancy shmancy ventilation helps in the hot weather, but even w/o a pack on, the cotton shirt is just soaked.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with boomn, most all packs have good ventilation today, but the shirt choice makes all the difference. I live in an area where summer days are commonly 105 to 110 degrees and sometimes hotter. If I wear a cotton t-shirt, it's gonna be drenched on the back no matter what I do, but shirts from underarmour amongst other similar materials have really helped keep things dry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is very true.. cotton kills for mtn biking.

Do you guys recommend any specific model? Any new features that have come out in the last year I should know about?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
boomn said:

+1:thumbsup: , but if you don't want the pack to touch your back just try out Ergon.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've heard great things about the Dueter and Ergon but never used either. I did get a Camelbak Mule NV this year and that is light years ahead of the regular Mule in terms of ventilation. I also have a Dakine APEX, which is a high volume pack that offers good ventilation as well. The Apex fits me very well too, although it's huge, it never feels too big.

FWIW, I live in Texas where it is hot six months out of the year and over 95 F most of the those days.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Strafer said:
Check out Deuter and Vaude packs, they both have mesh back that keeps the main pack off your back so there is like half inch of space between your back and the pack.
I got one of each over the Winter (chainlove deals) so haven't had a chance to use them yet.
These are both great packs.

I am using an Osprey currently and it is outstanding but my back gets a bit damp.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
kidhaulinbike said:
That is very true.. cotton kills for mtn biking.

Do you guys recommend any specific model? Any new features that have come out in the last year I should know about?
Lezyne has a couple well made packs w/ ventilation. There's an insert you can bend and shape to hold the pack off your back. The bladder blows but you can just drp in another

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
I've tried the Deuter packs with suspended mesh for hiking- they work okay but compromise a bit on internal space. I can't say if this happens with their biking packs.

Packs that I own that ventilate well:

Deuter Attack. Low capacity pack with back armouring. Pads suspend the pack about half an inch off your back and airflow is remarkably good (much better than normalpacks).

Wingnut. Like wearing a fanny pack as most of your back is left exposed. Very good ventilation.

Ergon. Despite having a bulky looking harness, this pack is indistinguisable from my Wingnut in terms of ventilation.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
womble said:
Wingnut. Like wearing a fanny pack as most of your back is left exposed. Very good ventilation.
Ditto. Love my Wingnut.

Yes, I sell them, but the great thing about being a one man shop, is I get to sell what I find actually works well, lasts longer, and does things better than other stuff I've tried.

Contrasted against working for a huge shop, where I need to sell what my boss wants me to sell because he likes the rep, or the product is part of what a certain rep group carries, and he gets better terms by selling more from that group, or got a sick deal on by buying $10K worth of closeouts that he now has to unload to get his $ back......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.