Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted some questions about a FS but then I rode them and wasn't too impressed. I've changed my mind and want a HT mainly for XC, but naturally will do a little bit of everything. I'm 6'2" and 205 pounds. Aggressive style riding mainly on trails.

I've been looking at Ibex, IH, Specialized and Jamis.

Which do you recommend?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Best is a relative term

Only you can say what is BEST for you

But the Lightest Hardtail in your price range will be the New Motobecane Fly Pro at 21.5 lbs

At under 22 lbs; I think this is also the most fun to ride hardtail anywhere near your price
at $895 - this bike is 3 to 6 lbs lighter than other bikes under $1000

It also has the best wheels of any hardtail offered under $1000

assorted features; XT/LX, FSA Crank, 2.7 lb frame, SID fork, Vuelta XRP handbuilt wheels with disc option, Ritchey bar/stem/post, etc

This bike is on the way and will be posted on our site Monday or Tuesday

FLY PRO is MattBlack with MattBlack Sid

well worth the wait; if you want something really fun

·
S*it Happens!
1,017 Posts
bikesdirect said:
Only you can say what is BEST for you

But the Lightest Hardtail in your price range will be the New Motobecane Fly Pro at 21.5 lbs

At under 22 lbs; I think this is also the most fun to ride hardtail anywhere near your price

It also has the best wheels of any hardtail offered under $1000

assorted features; XT/LX, FSA Crank, 2.7 lb frame, SID fork, Vuelta XRP handbuilt wheels with disc option, Ritchey bar/stem/post, etc

This bike is on the way and will be posted on our site Monday or Tuesday

FLY PRO is MattBlack with MattBlack Sid

well worth the wait; if you want something really fun
Sounds like a real sweet ride and nice color. I wish my Fantom was mattblack. Maybe I will do it next year with the Motobecane name in a old english font. That would look awesome!... Anyway nice job.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Ibex Trophy Comp X.7 is my choice:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

If your riding style requires more travel on the fork, swap the 80mm Reba out and put on a 100 mm fork or look hard at the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22165

Bob
I gotta go with the IBEX here, it is a GREAT deal for 700

I know Motobecane has new Fly Series offerings, and the Fly TEAM and FLY 9357 are really nice bikes. I like the 9357., but it is 1200

Now the Fly Pro ( i have an older model) also looks to be nice, but the only issue with it is see is that I think it will have sidewall rims. It does have a $100 option for avid juicy 5 or 7 disc brakes ( which is a good deal), but I think it will still come with the non disc rims...That is the only drawback I can see of the moto...

My moto is about 24lbs with pedals... And the big weight difference between the 05 and 07 model is 1.5lbs in the shock. I'm guessing that the 07 will be 22.5-23 lbs with pedals ...not to shabby ..I imagine the disc option will add some weight too

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Question regarding heavy riders

bikesdirect said:

This is a serious question, so please don't think I'm flame bating. This bike apparently has an incredibly lightweight frame. My guess is that in order to get such a light weight frame, one of two things has to be correct. Either the frame material is made of a super lightweight alloy, or the tubing is very thin. In that a super lightweight alloy would more than likely be very expensive to produce, the cost of this bike would lead me to be that the tubing is thin. For those of us who tip the scales at 200+ lbs, what sort of limitations on aggressive riding would be appropriate given the inherent potential for failure of a frame with thin walled tubing (if indeed it's not a lightweight alloy)?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good question

Call_me_Clyde said:
This is a serious question, so please don't think I'm flame bating. This bike apparently has an incredibly lightweight frame. My guess is that in order to get such a light weight frame, one of two things has to be correct. Either the frame material is made of a super lightweight alloy, or the tubing is very thin. In that a super lightweight alloy would more than likely be very expensive to produce, the cost of this bike would lead me to be that the tubing is thin. For those of us who tip the scales at 200+ lbs, what sort of limitations on aggressive riding would be appropriate given the inherent potential for failure of a frame with thin walled tubing (if indeed it's not a lightweight alloy)?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob

This is a very interesting question. And actually you are right on both - high grade tubes and thinner walls. The U6 tubing is a very stronger alloy; thus walls can be made thinner.

This said - FLY series bikes are NOT big air dirt jumping trick bikes.
FLYs are XC race bikes. And I think they are as quick as any XC bike that costs twice their price.
We have several guys racing these who are in your weight range. Part of the reason for going to the more expensive Vuelta wheels with no weight limit. Strong but still light wheels.

mike

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Thanks Mike!

I appreciate the education. Trying to get a better handle on your product. This helped a lot.

Bob

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
It think that either motobecane or ibex are good, with awesome parts spec for cheap. I wish one or both of them made a more all-mountain hardtail, like the ironhorse yakuza bakuto. If that is your price limit and the kind of bike you want, then Motobecane and Ibex fits the bill perfectly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.