Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike rack should support the variety of full suspension designs out there, so ones that rely on supporting the top tube, will probably not work. Obviously, has to be able to transport without taking the wheels off (20mm axles). Ideally a foldup, with frequent 2 bike, but sometimes 4 bike carry would be nice. Also one that could be taken on 4x4 roads, that wont scrape on the backside of rollers.

Ones I am thinking of:
1. http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002435/holdup-plus-2.aspx
2. http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/18322.aspx
-will scrape
-doesn't fold up

Anything else out there? Maybe I'll have to weld up my own?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I'll be in the market for a hitch setup as well this spring.
Giant Saam posted his rack which I liked a lot:
Kuat N101/102

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
liqwid said:
Those have a lot of cool features. Anyone try one of these yet?
As a matter of fact I have They are alot higher than other racks so they don't scrape but on my car it is so high it actually catches the wind on a suv I don't see it as a problem. The built in work stand is a great idea and it works well. Iam transporting a bike on mine everyday to test longevity on this rack.
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Mode of transport Land vehicle

Bicycle accessory Automotive exterior Line Glass Metal

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim Spoke

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have the Yakima Holdup here in COS. It's mounted on a Jeep Wrangler. It's a rock solid and holds two bikes very easily. There's enough clearance that I can take it off road (dirt roads, easy trails; wouldn't take it on anything difficult with bikes onboard). It goes on and comes off easily, folds DOWN when loaded so that if it's on an SUV with a flip up hatch, you can clear the bikes.

Bikes go on in about 15 seconds and off in less. When on the rack, they're solid as can be. Yakima comes with a locking cable that uses the Yakima core locks, so you can use one key for all your Yakima products. I think Thule does this, too, but the cable itself is extra.

I've had Yakima racks for years now and their quality is top notch. I'd say that while there are some that are as good, none are better.

You didn't say what kind of vehicle you have. If you have one with an external mounted spare tire, you'll have to use a hitch extender to clear the tires with either the Yakima or Thule to fold it up; probably any of the others, too. I used a 7' extender and a j-pin locking stabilizer (http://www.etrailer.com/p-63201.htm). It's rock solid and clears the tire when I fold it up.

With the Wrangler, or any vehicle with a side swinging rear hatch, one of these kinds of racks will be an issue. There are some that swing aside, but no tray versions.

One note here, your link is to the extender for Yakima. You need to get the base rack first (for any of the platform ones, I believe), then purchase the extra 2 bike trays for them. Not a cheap proposition.

I got mine at http://www.orsracksdirect.com/. Good prices and good service. You can get some great demo videos at youtube on installation, comparisons and loading.

I don't have any pictures of it loaded up, but I do highly recommend this rack.

·
My leg feels funny
1,289 Posts
giantsaam said:
As a matter of fact I have They are alot higher than other racks so they don't scrape but on my car it is so high it actually catches the wind on a suv I don't see it as a problem. The built in work stand is a great idea and it works well. Iam transporting a bike on mine everyday to test longevity on this rack.
That stand certainly sweetens the deal. One question is: does the hook that goes over the tire lock in any way? Not in the sense of lock from thieves but in the sense of hitting a huge bump and the button knocks down. I know this is probably unlikely but I'm paranoid.

I've been anti-hitch-rack before because of the fear of being rear ended and knowing insurance probably won't cover the bikes (see above RE: paranoia :)). After riding with a buddy for the last two seasons with one they're pretty handy and it'd be nice to be able to switch between cars somewhat quickly.

·
I heart the drops
1,105 Posts
liqwid said:
That stand certainly sweetens the deal. One question is: does the hook that goes over the tire lock in any way? Not in the sense of lock from thieves but in the sense of hitting a huge bump and the button knocks down. I know this is probably unlikely but I'm paranoid.

I've been anti-hitch-rack before because of the fear of being rear ended and knowing insurance probably won't cover the bikes (see above RE: paranoia :)). After riding with a buddy for the last two seasons with one they're pretty handy and it'd be nice to be able to switch between cars somewhat quickly.
I am very subjective to any product I buy and this one works very well if I didn't trust it I wouldnt throw any of my bikes on it.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The Thule T2 is superior in too many ways to the Yakima and Saris racks. The Kuat gives it some serious competition though.

·
flatlander in paradise
163 Posts
I like my Thule T2, and the arm on the tire does lock so you know it's secure while driving, but I have found that with the arm locked, all a thief would need to do is remove the front wheel QR, and the entire bike can be removed from the rack without unlocking the 'arm'.

·
3 Legged Big Top
639 Posts
zzsean said:
I'd rather spend my time riding single track in diverse places than riding Road to get there :p (If I lived in the mountains I would still drive to trailheads around the state and states close by)
I was just being a smarta$$. I use the Thule T2 and yeah dont waste your money on the arm lock its useless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use the Swagman xtc 4bike platform rack. It is simialr to the XPORT rack but much more sturdy. They are also about half the cost of a Thule or Yakima.

www.swagman.net

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Flyer said:
The Thule T2 is superior in too many ways to the Yakima and Saris racks. The Kuat gives it some serious competition though.
You can't just toss that out there and expect it to have any credibility.

Expand on the "too many ways".

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Spring loaded tilt mechanism. The Yak tries it and it is nowhere near as easy to use. The Saris doesn't even bother. The NV is a good design here.

Sideways adjustability- the others don't do this.

Space-between-bikes adjustabilty. You can get more than 12" if you need. The others are fixed at 9". NV is 12"

$25 Clamps are breakway (or bendaway) in case of a parking lot hit from another car. The others are bolted through and a hit will wreck the bars completely.

Sits closer to the car when folded and take up less room.

Not sure how much the Yakima weighs but it (T2) is lighter than the Saris. NV is even lighter.

The front wheel and rear wheel sit on top of the main bar, not hang off the sides or front.

Fits 29ers (The new Saris doesn't and Yak told me to try taking the air out of the tires so I didn't bother with it). The NV can prob fit 36ers.

That pretty much covers "too many ways" for me. Only the NV has some solid design features. The T2 kills the Yak and Saris.

skiahh said:
You can't just toss that out there and expect it to have any credibility.

Expand on the "too many ways".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts