Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellas,

Well i took that good fall and broke my nose, more specifically ripped my septum pretty nicely. So i guess its about time to get one of those Full face helmets. I was hoping I could come in here and ask some more experienced riders on some options of helmets they would recomend on price, quality, ventilation and even style.

I have viewed a couple i like, such as: the Specialized Deviant, the 661 Pro Bravo Carbon (07 model - only $140), and the Giro Remedy, but I do not know if these would be recommended or not. I would hate to buy one without an unbiased opinion.

My budget is about $150 being it's a college budget :D

Any help and suggestions would be appriciated
It also helps to know I live in Tx and it gets VERY hot so ventilation is a must!

thanks,
Joel

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
For that price I'd look at getting a Giro Remedy. Stay away from the Deviant. It's a glorified XC helmet. I've have a couple of friend crash in them and they don't offer the protection that a proper DH FF helmet would.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well all of these are in the price range and I am no means limiting myself to these three. are you saying the Remedy is best, in your opinion, of these or of all you know of?

I am definitely interested into suggestions of other products if you feel that these are not the best for under $150 price range
thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have been reading that DOT rated helmets can lead to more "lower speed" brain injuries like 20- 40 mph due to there being stiffer and generaly rated for high impact crashes. They do not have the correct "crumple zones" to help in the 20-40mph crashes. It makes sence to me, but also leads to a problem I see b/c most XC helmets would just explode if you were to smack a tree at 30mph like mine did about 10 weeks ago...

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
iamjoel5 said:
are you saying the Remedy is best, in your opinion, of these or of all you know of?
Well let me put it this way. Last time I went riding all 5 of us were rocking the Remedy. It has the best features for the price. Is it the best? No, a Troy Lee would probably be at the top of the list but they cost ~$300-400. Are there others in the Remedy's price range that are just as good? Sure. Bell makes good helmets, so does 661. A lot comes down to what fits you the best. Try to hit some LBS's and try on a few different helmets to see what fits your head the best.

AFWIW - Both of the guys that crashed in Deviants both ended up getting Remedys.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Khemical said:
Well let me put it this way. Last time I went riding all 5 of us were rocking the Remedy. It has the best features for the price. Is it the best? No, a Troy Lee would probably be at the top of the list but they cost ~$300-400. Are there others in the Remedy's price range that are just as good? Sure. Bell makes good helmets, so does 661. A lot comes down to what fits you the best. Try to hit some LBS's and try on a few different helmets to see what fits your head the best.

AFWIW - Both of the guys that crashed in Deviants both ended up getting Remedys.
What makes TLD the best helmets? Are they statistically safer? Or do they just look cooler?

I like the D2, it's a cool looking lid, but its so expensive for a standard CPSC certified helmet.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Raptordude said:
What makes TLD the best helmets? Are they statistically safer? Or do they just look cooler?

I like the D2, it's a cool looking lid, but its so expensive for a standard CPSC certified helmet.
Just that they have better graphics and are lighter than a Remedy. I in no way wanted to imply that they offered better protection.

woof.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
iamjoel5 said:
Yah, I'm not wanting DOT.

Tacubaya, would you choose remedy over deviant? Have you read/heard/used Deviant or Remedy?
I've tested and heard and read about the Remedy and I assure you its a great helmet. Strong enough, light enough, cool enough and... cheap enough.

I currently have a Fox Rampage and I like it more that the Remedy because of the shape and comfort (it has a moto profile with a narrow chin guard instead of the wider profile on the Remedy).

I recommend you go to a store and try the helmets out, see which one you like best.

Where are you in Texas? I know it is difficult to find full face helmets on local stores.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Khemical said:

Last question,
Which of these (661, giro, bell) offer the best ventilation?

Also, I have to get from the internet, I live in Houston and there is VERY little demand for Fullface helmets so 1 store within 100 miles carries them and they had 3 very cheap styles and only 1 was my fit so I will have to wing it :\

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is VERY little demand here in Houston, and the ONLY store within 100 miles that carries them had only 3 styles...1 that fit...and they were all junk

So i will be buying from the internet, i wish i had the privilage of trying them on :\

Im just going to have to wing it and hope for the best

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tacubaya said:
I've tested and heard and read about the Remedy and I assure you its a great helmet. Strong enough, light enough, cool enough and... cheap enough.

I currently have a Fox Rampage and I like it more that the Remedy because of the shape and comfort (it has a moto profile with a narrow chin guard instead of the wider profile on the Remedy).

I recommend you go to a store and try the helmets out, see which one you like best.

Where are you in Texas? I know it is difficult to find full face helmets on local stores.
I see exactly what you're talking about after looking at pictures
Man i wish i could try these one.

I sure appriciate you guys workin with me, I dont have much to work with in my location

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
The only DH store I know is in near San Antonio airport called "Drop Zone Cycling", they carry a lot of helmets. (I bought my Fox Rampage there and lemme tell you they have great prices)

The most ventilated is the Remedy.

Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have access to several to try on, do that! If not, order one on-line after measuring you melon per the instructions from the manufacturer. Fit is the most critical issue (followed by wearing it properly!).

I have a Giro. When I took a BIG spill this year, I did a face plant so hard I had a minor concussion. I was seeing stars for a few seconds, but no other damage (to me). The Remedy did its job! There is now a crack on both sides of the face section - above the vent. The visor also broke and is missing a big section in the front (yes a REAL face plant). I continued to tumble down a rock section and hit the sides hard too. I see there are some deep scratches/gouges from multiple impacts.

This Remedy is now a trophy. It served me well and saved my face and head.

Giro (which is now Bell) has a very good crash replacement policy. You call them and give them info and they will send you a new one for 30% off retail, including shipping. I did this and it was very easy! 30% off is not great, but a new helmet for $84 delivered is still hard to beat!

Customer service has been great too. Easy to reach and helpful.

But then the TLD lids sure are pretty...

Good luck. Save some $$ for body armor and pads too!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.