Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Monocog Flight 29er and I'm going to upgrade the headset as I've read that the stock A-headset comes loose.

Obviously there is CK. I have that on my FS rig. But I've heard that the 29er put more stress on the headset than 26" bikes. So I've seen some put the FSA Pig DH. Much cheaper than CK, but obviously heavier.

Thoughts? What are you guys running on your 29er?

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
How about the FSA Orbit Extreme, good rep and not silly money.
:lol:

I just had to tighten that exact headset today. It's on a bike with fenders and studded tires. Cement/icy/snow/wet pavement trails.

I thought to myself: "Why am I having to do this?". I knew the answer.

"....Because I never put a King on this bike.'

·
Registered
445 Posts
no difference imo

bullit71]
But I've heard that the 29er put more stress on the headset than 26" bikes.
I am still sort of new to the 29er forum so I suspect this topic and been beat to death in other 29er threads but………….

I can understand the potential for a 29 wheel along with a possible shorter HT contributing to slightly greater dynamic "head set" forces than a 26 wheel/HT combo. However I do not see how such a small increase in force would overcome the typical engineered "safety factor" in a head set. In other words ever thing else being equal, (ie: same rider and same ride conditions) it should not make any difference.

This is not to say you should just pick any old head set, but what works for YOU on a 26 should also work for YOU on a 29er.
Am I off base here? Missing something? I am getting a 29er soon so anyone want to chime in if my thinking is way off base.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Chris King.

bullit71 said:
I have a new Monocog Flight 29er and I'm going to upgrade the headset as I've read that the stock A-headset comes loose.

Obviously there is CK. I have that on my FS rig. But I've heard that the 29er put more stress on the headset than 26" bikes. So I've seen some put the FSA Pig DH. Much cheaper than CK, but obviously heavier.

Chris King headsets are the most popular by far, and are usually recognized as the best for a good reason.

The quality and machining, colours, bearings and guarantee that comes with this fine headset are the best you can get.

Sure, they are more expensive, but King headsets last because they are built to last.

I wouldn't put any other headset in my bikes... :thumbsup:

R.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
29C, it`s called MAINTANCE ! ;)
No kidding!

And to top it off, it was REALLY loose. I ride the bike everyday. I can smell a loose headset usually. If I get my hands on the bike, and latch down on that brake while grabbing the headset, I can feel the slightest bit of play.

I am like the Zorro of headsets. No... I'm like the cleaning lady of headsets. You know the ones. The ones that get things cleaner than other cleaning ladies. Yeah.

You thought I was kidding when I said I could smell a loose headset? I wasn't. You can smell some of them when they get loose. They smell poopy... like sewage. Well... that is if they are "well used" and not Kings.

Ohh yeah... next time you are sitting aroung picking your toenails, and you smell some sewage, check that headset... check it after you check the bathroom.

Then, call the cleaning lady, or the plumber. Yeah... the plumber of headsets...

:cool:

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
What he said!

Rainman said:
Chris King headsets are the most popular by far, and are usually recognized as the best for a good reason.

The quality and machining, colours, bearings and guarantee that comes with this fine headset are the best you can get.

Sure, they are more expensive, but King headsets last because they are built to last.

I wouldn't put any other headset in my bikes... :thumbsup:

R.
Do your self a favor and get a CK ... you'll never be sorry you did.

OMR..:cool:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
P'shaw. Chris King headsets might be the best, but they are hardly the only answer. But obviously you just want to spend money, since you haven't actually had any problems with your stock headset. Sounds like a bad case of upgrade-itis to me.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I agree that Chris King headsets are good, I have had at least 6 or more. I have switched to the Cane Creek Solos. 10 year warranty, same as a King, and 6 bling colors to choose from for less money. My vote is for the Cane Creek Solos.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,420 Posts
bullit71 said:

Maybe this has been covered before, but I cannot see why a 29er would put any more stress on a headset. If it is an issue of long fork and short headtube, keep in mind that people use standard (non DH) headsets on 26ers with forks much longer than the rigid fork on yours.

As far as what headset, if you are wanting the best and most expensive, go CK. However, I think $130 is way more than I want in my headset. I used the Cane creek S3 on my last build. I think I paid $30 for it. I've been using S2's for years with no problems.

·
Registered
354 Posts
maintain the one you have

bullit71 said:

I say maintain the hs you have. I had a original 26" red monocog and after I upgraded the cheap headset, to a better cheap sealed canecreak I used that same cheap headset on my build up of a surly crosscheck and the headset lasted probably 5 years on two frames, just had to keep it greased up,/overhauled maybe 2-3 times a year, it was a little bit notchey when I replaced it and pitted a little, but not really bad. I now have the cheap s2or s3 cane creek head set on the cross check since I'm not using that redline anymore.. I also have bikes with the pig dh headset, great headset for the price, and of course I have 2 bikes with king, obviously very nice, and both of them I was able to find lightly used, or as a takeoff for $60. I don't think a 29er causes more hs problems though.

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
King

I guess it's King <sigh>. I love CK, who doesn't, but upwards of a buck fifty for a hs sux.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Loose Headset???

Not to highjack this thread...but what is a loose headset;) ??

Do the cups come loose:D ?

Isn't the stem clamping on the steerer tube, after the play is removed from headset by the top-cap nut, what keeps a headset snug?? I have never had cups come lose. If a headset develops play the stem is at fault. No?

This is why I detest Thomson stems. Their clamping method on the tube is :nono: .

I have used cheap aHeadset, FSA Orbit XLII, Race Face Deus, and Cane Creek S6 with no problems. I find that I rather spend my Franklin on other parts of the bike that I might really notice it on...wheels, tires, ti seatpost...

Just my ramblings...

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
bullit71 said:
I guess it's King <sigh>. I love CK, who doesn't, but upwards of a buck fifty for a hs sux.

Thanks!
i never sell a frame/bike with the king headset still on it. take it off and use it on another bike. i've got six king headsets in rotation -- right now three of them aren't even on any bikes!

it's called investment, and if you're in it for the long term, there's no better headset investment than a chris king. period.

what headset is your shop mechanic running?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.