Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a great new bike, a Gary Fisher Rig, and like most bicycles the spec'd headset is lacking. I'd like to replace with either the ultimate headset or straight-up the best quality at a value price point, roughly $60.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wow.

I thought of writing more in my response but I decided to shut up and answer your question.

CHRIS KING.

In a league of there own for many years. Get one and you'll NEVER second guess your choice.

C

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
King

Unless you atre crying poor the King headset is without equal. I have a King headset that is 8 or 9 years old from before the time of the Lazer engraved the logo on the races and it is still working perfectly on it's 5th or 6th frame. The lower race is easily removable with a hammer and screwdriver while race face and others distort every time they are removed. It's one of the few perpetual parts.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Cane Creek

I have a Cane Creek on every bike I own, and so does my brother (I built his 2 bikes). No problems from any of them.

They dont cost much, and I see no reason to spend more.

If a headset works flawlessly and goes unnoticed for years and years, I would say it is a great part.

If you want bling, you want King. If cost effective performance you seek, get the Cane Creek.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
S2, S3

Yeah, what he said! I have an S2, an S3 and a King headset on different bikes right now and there is no functional difference, it is only bling.

....bracing for the flaming to begin :( ....

unit said:
I have a Cane Creek on every bike I own, and so does my brother (I built his 2 bikes). No problems from any of them.

They dont cost much, and I see no reason to spend more.

If a headset works flawlessly and goes unnoticed for years and years, I would say it is a great part.

If you want bling, you want King. If cost effective performance you seek, get the Cane Creek.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have seen a CK die, and I have one that squeaks incessantly, even in two different frames. I have two FSA Orbit headsets that are half the price, just as smooth, and so far perfectly reliable. At one point several years ago CK was the best, but others have caught up and at much lower prices.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Cane Creek Solos. I have had many Chris King headsets, and the only difference I can tell is the money savings. Both headsets offer a 10 year warrany, save some money and go with the Cane Creek Solos.

·
luddite
212 Posts
Most anything that is ~$40

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would pay $120 for a friggin' headset. I have abused the hell out of Cane Creek, FSA, and various kinds of Aheadset ripoffs. Unless the bearings lock up completely a headset will not affect your riding. All headsets are essentially indistinguishable -- downhill/dirt-jumping headsets excluded.

Don't believe the hype, get any headset that isn't bottom of the barrel and ride your bike. You can buy 3 Cane Creek S-2 (on sale, and they go on sale often) for the price of one King.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I like CC

tphenom said:
I've got a great new bike, a Gary Fisher Rig, and like most bicycles the spec'd headset is lacking. I'd like to replace with either the ultimate headset or straight-up the best quality at a value price point, roughly $60.

Recommendations?
The s2 and s6, their light rebuildable, cheap and the fork races are interchangable between bikes..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.