Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just did a bunch of research, originally was going to get the Gary Fisher Marlin Disc or Tasla. but couldn't find them in my size so I resorted to Internet direct companies. The two I had to chose between were the Motobecane Fantom Trail ($590) or the Ibex Trophy Comp ($835). Both are loaded with great parts, and from the reviews I have read either should be a great bike. I decided on the Motobecane, figured if I get real serious I can beat on a $600 bike for a year or two and then when I'm ready to jump to a higher end bike, sell it and go FS, I was real close to biting the bullet and getting the Comp though, better fork, brakes and components. I'll post a review of the Fantom when I get it next week.

Basically what I found is a lot of shops in SoCal are sold out of 08 models, 09 models are not in stock yet, but when they do show up they are more expensive, and for $600 in a LBS I could only get vbrakes, dart 2, and deore/alivio level of components, while on the net I can get avid disc, dart 3 and deore/lx components. The other thing I found is the Trek 4500 I was about to buy at an LBS had crappy tires (bad reviews) and so I was going to spend another $40+ on tires just to get riding, the non disc 4500 was actually going to cost more then the Fantom.

You could also check out REI, online they had some Iron Horse bikes and Cannondale on sale, looked like good bikes for decent prices.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Takedown said:
I just did a bunch of research, originally was going to get the Gary Fisher Marlin Disc or Tasla. but couldn't find them in my size so I resorted to Internet direct companies. The two I had to chose between were the Motobecane Fantom Trail ($590) or the Ibex Trophy Comp ($835). Both are loaded with great parts, and from the reviews I have read either should be a great bike. I decided on the Motobecane, figured if I get real serious I can beat on a $600 bike for a year or two and then when I'm ready to jump to a higher end bike, sell it and go FS, I was real close to biting the bullet and getting the Comp though, better fork, brakes and components. I'll post a review of the Fantom when I get it next week.

Basically what I found is a lot of shops in SoCal are sold out of 08 models, 09 models are not in stock yet, but when they do show up they are more expensive, and for $600 in a LBS I could only get vbrakes, dart 2, and deore/alivio level of components, while on the net I can get avid disc, dart 3 and deore/lx components. The other thing I found is the Trek 4500 I was about to buy at an LBS had crappy tires (bad reviews) and so I was going to spend another $40+ on tires just to get riding, the non disc 4500 was actually going to cost more then the Fantom.

You could also check out REI, online they had some Iron Horse bikes and Cannondale on sale, looked like good bikes for decent prices.

Good luck!
Thanks, I've checked out a few of those. I wouldn't consider the Ibex because I can't test ride it. I'll check out the other ones you mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Takedown said:

Good luck!
The Motobecane Fantom Trail, where do they sell them? I've never seen them sold in any of my bike stores.

·
Registered
180 Posts
mickdirt said:
The Motobecane Fantom Trail, where do they sell them? I've never seen them sold in any of my bike stores.
I purchased mine online: bikesdirect.com. It was a bit of a gamble, but other users experiences and also wanting to learn more about tuning the bike myself caused me to go this route.

Cycle spectrum is the only place that sells them in store that I'm aware of. I tried out a bunch of bikes at my LBS, and compared the geometry and the motobecane was close enough to what I tried that I think I'll be ok as far as fit goes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check out Iron Horse Warrier. You can get them from performace bikes and through Randall Scott. They are around 40% off right now and it is hard to beat the components on them for the price. The 5.0 and 5.5 models are in your price range.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Hey guys. This is just a reminder. Always ask folks how much do they weigh, (Clydes need certain types of bikes), how tall they are (some tall folks might like a 29er), and other considerations.(riding styles for example. That way you can better help them.---zarr :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had a Gary Fisher Marlin for more than 8 years and it has really been a good bike. I've never had a problem with the frame and I weigh over 230. I've upgraded some components when I found good deals on replacements. The new Marlins have a better spec than mine did when I bought it.

Smokey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.