Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to mountain biking... And not very knowledgeable. I have a ~$600 budget, and I went around checking some stores today.

It turns out that my first "Internet pick", the Marin B-17, is nowhere to be found, except at REI-outlet, in a small size that isn't going to work for me. Does Marin have a newer replacement for this great bike?

Speaking of REI, they have a rather nice bike called 08 Novara Panderosa at $670 (http://www.rei.com/product/760853). Does anybody have info on this bike? And Novara bikes in general?

Is it possible to get anything better with a $600 budget? I know there is no "best", but I'm looking for a good all-around bike.

I have another question relating to which size of bike I should get. I'm 5'11 with an inseam of 33 inches. So apparently I should get a 19 inch frame. Is this correct?

·
Registered
700 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
If $600 is the total budget, I think good advice is to spend $500-520 on a bike so you have money left over for bike accessories. You will easily spend $60 on top of the bike. If you plan to get clipless pedals/shoes, you may want to adjust your budget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had actually noticed the Ibex 650 before. Looks like a nice bike. The X7 is really nice but seriously over the budget :eek:

DiamondBack Response... Originally wanted one, but I feel they are Walmart/Target kind of bikes, like Mangoose. I may be wrong, I'm a noob, this is just a feeling. I'm no racer but they felt really heavy in the store. I want to climb!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nibar said:
I had actually noticed the Ibex 650 before. Looks like a nice bike. The X7 is really nice but seriously over the budget :eek:

DiamondBack Response... Originally wanted one, but I feel they are Walmart/Target kind of bikes, like Mangoose. I may be wrong, I'm a noob, this is just a feeling. I'm no racer but they felt really heavy in the store. I want to climb!
You're wrong about that,DB makes some excellent bikes,those dept. store models are pieces of you know what.I think they get a bad rep because of those crappy dept store bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmh, nice pick there CRed. But at almost 32 lbs, that's starting to get heavy, no? Well I guess it's proportionally to the price, too.

Sorry about DB, as I said it's just a feeling, I guess it's just a bad strategy.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nibar said:
Mmh, nice pick there CRed. But at almost 32 lbs, that's starting to get heavy, no? Well I guess it's proportionally to the price, too.

Sorry about DB, as I said it's just a feeling, I guess it's just a bad strategy.
Thanks.

Yeah,weight is usually proportionate to price.At the $600 or less price point you won't get much lighter then that.I have spent $1300 or so on my custom built bike and it weighs in at about 24 Lbs.

I know what you mean,it's hard to get past the dept. store rep they have,but they really do make good bikes as does Mongoose.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in the same position as you with the budget being 600. I don't want to go too overboard and I've been doing my best to research components to figure out which bike has the best to offer and am pretty much giving up.
I've also looked at the ibex alpine 550 and the fezzari kings peak
http://http://www.fezzari.com/products/index/Kings_Peak_XC/14/35#Specs

If you could help me out too that would be great.
I have no LBS so that's not much of an issue.

JAWZ

·
I hate sugar sand.
115 Posts
I'm also looking into bikes in the $600 and under range. After doing some research and rankings on various bikes, I've come up with the three that seem like the best deals to me.

Prices may vary in your area by the way:

Specialized Rockhopper - $519.99
Gary Fisher Marlin - $589.99 (the non-disc version)
Ibex Alpine 550 - $604 (with shipping)

Rockhopper
- lowest price
- RockShox Dart 3 fork
- 29 lbs. (middle of the group)
- lower end components

Marlin
- middle price
- Dart 2 fork
- 30.6 lbs (heaviest)
- Deore components

Alpine 550
- most expensive
- can't try before you buy
- Marzocchi MZ Race fork
- 28 lbs. (lightest)
- SRAM 3.0, X5 components

Honestly, no one bike seems to blow the others away. The Ibex seems like it might be the best deal, but it kinda sucks that you can't test ride it first. I think the best bang for the buck would be getting a 2006 or 2007 model of a better spec'd bike. What was worth $1000 two years ago shouldn't cost you more than $500 today. Or buy last year's entry level model and upgrade until you hit the $600 mark.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I guess I'm not alone in this boat. $600 is indeed a psychological mark I'm reluctant to top.

About the Novara = Marin issue, this is very plausible, I mean, look at the similarities between some frames. The only reason I got hooked up to Marin is because they got MTBR's 2007 award. It's funny given it's not produced anymore. Other models may not be specially good.

It sucks not being able to test ride the Alpine, but frankly, it's like cars, what can you judge during a few minutes of a test ride in a parking lot... But still sucks. But these are lighter bikes in this price range, I like that.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You guys should look at the iron Horse that I linked to above,it has better components then all of those mentioned above AND is only $399.That's $120 less then the Rockhopper,$190 less then the Marlin and $204 less then the Ibex.Then you have the Forge which is only $319 and is comparable to the ones metioned above.

I usually suggest Ibex,but in this case I'd get the Iron horse and use the extra money for other things.The only thing i don't like on it are the shocks,but they're all entry level forks anyways with the Dart 3's being the best of the bunch.It may be a little heavier,but you really have to take the published weights with a grain of salt as they are rarely accurate.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
There are a few companies that make a quality bike for a low price, IH, Jamis & Ibex off the top here. Test ride as Nibar said hard to tell in a parking lot so mail order isn't that bad a deal. Ibex has excellent CS both in house and on the forums http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 which many companies dont have. What is the perfect bike for each person is up to you not other posters, if a Motive turns ya on get it at that price range your fine just dont hit any real trails. :drumroll:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Dog is right.Don't let anyone tell you what to get,but it doesn't hurt to have as many choices as possible along with as much information as possible so you can make the best choice for you.I love Ibex bikes,especially their Trophy series.They're just a great value IMHO.

Chris

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.