Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy asked me to help him find a fun bike to get into the sport. He's got $1,500 and isn't looking to do anything crazy, so I think plus hardtail is the obvious choice (or non-plus and he can always throw on 2.6).

It's been a few years since I researched this segment so hoping you all can help me out. Is it still Fluid, Honzo, Fathom, Meta, Timberjack, and Fuse that are best bets in that range? Any others that are worth considering? Bonus points if you happen to know of any killer deals on higher end bikes...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sync'r looks great on paper, just not sure I trust the brand. RSD would be top of the list but it's about $1K over budget. Good call on the Stache 5. Sweet deal for $1,500. I'll definitely keep that one in mind but I think this might be top of the list right now: Cube Reaction TM Race 27.5

Retails for $2,100, on sale for $1,439 (shade under $1,550 out the door). Fox 34 rhythm, NX Eagle, KS dropper, Magura brakes. Somewhat conservative geometry but should be perfect for what my buddy wants. That seems like a pretty killer package to me. And Cube is a solid brand, no? Never owned or seen one myself but the Brits seem to love them. Any knocks on this bike?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I test rode the Stache 7 today (didn’t have a five in stock) and I really don’t think the 29+ is for me. The bike feels ENORMOUS in comparison to something like the Roscoe 8. I’d consider a Roscoe 8 if the hub wasn’t so weird.

Why don’t you trust Diamondback?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Virus Sentier, Nukeproof scout race, whyte 901, Salsa Timberjack SLX, diamondback sync’r.

I did a ton of research in this area last fall. I think I looked at every plus hardtail under $1700. The above ones were by far the best deals, at least for the things I cared about.

Good luck on the search :).

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
My buddy asked me to help him find a fun bike to get into the sport. He's got $1,500 and isn't looking to do anything crazy, so I think plus hardtail is the obvious choice (or non-plus and he can always throw on 2.6).

It's been a few years since I researched this segment so hoping you all can help me out. Is it still Fluid, Honzo, Fathom, Meta, Timberjack, and Fuse that are best bets in that range? Any others that are worth considering? Bonus points if you happen to know of any killer deals on higher end bikes...
You are real lucky, here is a great deal. The brand is irrelevant. He needs to be comfortable, so my best bike might be his nightmare.
Like you said a 29x2.6 and a 27.5x3.0/2.8 are quite similar.
The last 3.5 months i just love my HT 120 mm 40 mm rims.
He could find with your help a used one around 1,100$ i guess you mean US?
Than he would have a budget for good tires for the area, they make a real difference and proper PSI.
For that ask around and in area sub forum. I love Rekons but i am in Quebec.
$$ left is for a course or a weekend riding or a pro fit.
Focus on wide rims for traction 35 minimum.
Avoid cheap suspension.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The Stache is the safest bike on the planet.
You want to know why?
The brakes are allways on.
Maybe this is due to the fact that i am a small rider but trust me 29x3.0 is not for everyone. The feel is like a volkswagon van 1968, 0 acceleration.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
trust me 29x3.0 is not for everyone. The feel is like a volkswagon van 1968, 0 acceleration.
:thumbsup: Nuthin is for everyone. A '68 VW van won't win any races for sure !

I have a 27'5 x 3 although very little I do on it feels like hasten velocity exception being fall-line ingredients.
Just gotta find the right rig for the job.

Fast and sporty handling may not correspond with anything Plus.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I’be been thinking about trying to find a regular 27.5 HT but that isn’t easy, unless maybe you want an XC style bike.

I’m hoping this 27.5+ craze is more than just marketing BS.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'be been thinking about trying to find a regular 27.5 HT but that isn't easy, unless maybe you want an XC style bike.

I'm hoping this 27.5+ craze is more than just marketing BS.
The 27.5 is needed because about 5 feet and 4 inches or shorter will not fit on 29. The frame is just too long. Also some like the feel better but it is disadvantage, less tire in contact = less traction. Yesterday i started uphill with my 27.5+ and a girl was spinning with 27.5 due to loose over hard. Also you want TIRE when the rear has no suspension. A pleasant HT might be 29 or 27+, i have 1 of each. The important is matching the frame to our frame. With long legs some are not for me but others like them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You want to know why?
The brakes are always on.
Maybe this is due to the fact that i am a small rider but trust me 29x3.0 is not for everyone. The feel is like a volkswagon van 1968, 0 acceleration.
You have a point, you can't really ride a 29+ like a xc racer, the larger wheels/mass means you can't really sprint out of turns, you need to take advantage of the bigger mass and better traction and keep your momentum up. At least that's how I ride mine compared to my more xc-oriented bike with 2.35's.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I test rode the Stache 7 today (didn't have a five in stock) and I really don't think the 29+ is for me. The bike feels ENORMOUS in comparison to something like the Roscoe 8. I'd consider a Roscoe 8 if the hub wasn't so weird.

Why don't you trust Diamondback?
Just for shiggles, I looked it up. The Stache has a consistently shorter chainstay length than an equivalent Roscoe, and ~0.5 degree slacker head angle. It's already almost identical--but dropping the travel would make it all the more so. Even comparing similarly-priced models, the Stache is a lighter bike.

IMO, just like fat bikes, plus bikes don't make great parking lot tests...the thing that it excels at, holding a line through chunder/loose terrain, is not something that is rewarded with pavement. The bike just ends up feeling like a pig.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just for shiggles, I looked it up. The Stache has a consistently shorter chainstay length than an equivalent Roscoe, and ~0.5 degree slacker head angle. It's already almost identical--but dropping the travel would make it all the more so. Even comparing similarly-priced models, the Stache is a lighter bike.

IMO, just like fat bikes, plus bikes don't make great parking lot tests...the thing that it excels at, holding a line through chunder/loose terrain, is not something that is rewarded with pavement. The bike just ends up feeling like a pig.
On my fat i got used to stop than restart without touching the ground, + bikes are also good for that. 35 MM or more rims have advantages.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,560 Posts
You want to know why?
The brakes are allways on.
0-55 in 11 minutes!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.