Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking at a bunch of bikes and narrowed it down to a few which is my best choice and what others should i look at besides the ones that i am listing.. will be riding mostly single track trail, nothing to crazy fairly flat terrain.. thanks

2010 cannondale f4
trek 6500
gary fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
scott aspect 35

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
I'm looking at similar bikes, but it seems like you're lumping two different price points together - $1000 and $1300, which only confuses the matter.

In the $1000 range, you have:

Cannondale F4
Specialized Rockhopper SL
Gary Fisher Tassajara
Trek 6500
Giant XTC1
Motobecane Fantom Elite
Jamis Durango 2

In the $1300 range, you have:

Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo
Motobecane Fantom Pro HT
Specialized Rockhopper SL Comp
Trek 6700 Disc
Jamis Durango 3

Fit it critical obviously, but if you're just comparing specs at this level, all of the frames and drivetrains are decent and the components are serviceable, so it really comes down to the brakes and forks for me. A lot of people recommended staying away from RockShox Dart forks, RST forks, and Tektro brakes, so that helped me narrow it down. The Motos come with the best specs because of their business model, but you have to figure out if the potential hassles are worth it to you.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I think that most HT frames are plain vanilla and there isn't much difference between most of them except FIT. also, as stated above, it really comes down to a few major components; fork wheels and brakes.
For me, brakes are last because a set of BB7 work great so I judge everything against the cost of those at about $100. I've never been inclined to go the $350+ set of hydros.
That said, you could almost build your own HT for $1300 spec'd out better than most OTS bikes. If you are not up to that, I'd go with a bike around $1k that has a good component spec but ask the LBS to allow me to upgrade the fork. i can't see spending $1300 and getting a tora coil. that would just kill me.
for example, you can get a catalog HT frame for about $100. Decent fork and wheels for less than $600 if you shop. That leaves $600 for the rest of the bike. With ebay, you can spec XT/X9 f/r derailleurs, good cranks and a decent saddle. Stem/bars/seat post can all be generic & you won't know the diff.
FWIW, my next HT will cost about $1350 and is spec'd with a Reba, 719/XT wheels, X9 and LX.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As its been said a million times on here, ride as many bikes in your range as you can. Even if you plan on buying online (which I did on my last bike), spend a little time and research the geometry for the bike you can test that feels the best and compare it to the one you are considering online. This will tell you just a little on how the online bike will feel compared to the one you rode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive been looking at the Motobecanes online after the 2 suggestions and they seem like they are very good bikes for the money and see alot of good reviews on here of them.

so ive been looking at these, anyone have one or have opinions on them.. thanks
Fantom HT PRO
FLY PRO
Fantom HT Elite

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Rob, I'd go with the Fly Pro. I'm not sure what the frames geometry would be on the other two bikes with the forks at 130mm. Not sure that it would be a benefit to have adjustable travel vs the benefits of the Sid. Sid forks are RS high end XC fork.
However, if you would ever consider buying a full suspension frame in the future and swapping all of the parts over, you might benefit from the Fantom HT Pro's fork on your next bike.
Either way, all of these bikes are KILLER value for the money. Almost worth the purchase just for the parts... well definitely worth the purchase just for the parts.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i got my RH SL Pro from my LBS brand new cash, no tax for $1300 flat.
prob the best specs out there...

25.5 lb complete bike
~1600g frame
Reba SL w/ MoCo
DT Swiss 445D wheels
Deore XT RD
Deore everything else
Avid Elixir 4 (juicy 3) hydraulic brakes w/ elixir levers
high end light weight KMC x9 SL chain
1 year of free service from lbs + discounts on all other parts/service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.