Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
I have a few recommendations. Im a giant person, so bear with me...

Any of the new Maestro Anthem bikes will do well. As will the NRS lineup from former years:
Anthem:
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=246

NRS:
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2005&range=201
(scroll down to the bottom three).

Depending on your budget, consider the Specialized Enduro. I prefer the Anthem or NRS for racing... but the Enduro is an all-around better bike ive heard.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Over in the Santa Cruz forum LacticAddict has given some pretty detailed descriptions comparing the Superlight and his new Blur XC, so you might want to check those out. (I think he races Expert class).

In our race series here in the Northeast (Root66) it seems the majority of people racing FS bikes are riding Epics. (I expect the previous poster meant Epic instead of Enduro). You see quite a few Giants and older Gary Fisher Sugars too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
not the enduro!

the Enduro is an all-around better bike ive heard.[/QUOTE]

The Enduro is definatly not for xc racing. That would be the biggest waist of cash if your intended purpose is to buy a fs xc rig. I think that he may of meant the epic, check those out they are the best out there.

GOAT

·
Registered
770 Posts
BLURRY25 said:
I'm looking for a FS ride for XC racing. I was looking at the SC superlight or a Specialized Epic. Something light and efficient. I would like suggestions on these bikes or other brands.

Thanks,
blurry
Hard to say what is best....perhaps it's the bike that fits you best. All of the top end stuff from the large manufacturers(trek, specialized, giant) are pretty nice! Hard to go wrong. If your looking in the boutique bike area I would definitely look into the racer-x or blur.

·
Lazy People Suck
771 Posts
I am a 40 yr old mid pack Expert racer with no particular genetic gifts, so I am extremely anal about my equipment, trying to make up for my lack of ability.

I have owned a Specialized FSR, Titus Racer X, 2 Giant NRSs, Merlin Extra Fat softail, K2 Razorback. I am now on my 3rd season on my Cannondale Scalpel. I have no particular allegance to Cannondale, but I have never ridden a bike that feels so good at the limits. Mine has a Headshock and it is the most flex free front end I have ever used. It simply goes where you point it. The same can be said for the Lefty. If your primary terrain is twisty, wooded, rooty singletrack (mine is), I cannot think of a better choice.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
en are es said:
I have a few recommendations. Im a giant person, so bear with me...

Any of the new Maestro Anthem bikes will do well. As will the NRS lineup from former years:
Anthem:
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=246

NRS:
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2005&range=201
(scroll down to the bottom three).

Depending on your budget, consider the Specialized Enduro. I prefer the Anthem or NRS for racing... but the Enduro is an all-around better bike ive heard.
Me thinks Giant will still give you your best run for your money, but hey... it depends on allegiance I suppose, and of course which bike fits you best.

·
Registered
113 Posts
BLURRY25 said:
I'm looking for a FS ride for XC racing. I was looking at the SC superlight or a Specialized Epic. Something light and efficient. I would like suggestions on these bikes or other brands.

Thanks,
blurry
My 2 cents:

I've raced on my Epic 2 times in the past year and love it, i like the feel of it when i hammer on a sprint or on climbs. it's not the most plush ride but it sticks when you need it to and it does very well in the technical stuff.

Before that, i rode & raced on GT Hardtails for 14 years. so when i went shopping for a XC racer i felt most at ease with the Epic to make the transition to FS with my style of riding

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Rocky Mountain Element

I've been riding and racing on my Rocky Mountain Element T.O. for 5 years and have yet to ride another bike that outperforms it. If I found a better bike for XC and racing, I'd buy it, but so far it hasn't happened. The design has been around for about 8 years (or more?), which gives the design legitimacy. In fact, you can see it under some pretty big nome riders on the world cup circuit (especially in the womens class) and on the podium of the trans-rockies and other epic races. Rocky came out with the ETSX but you still see their pros on the Element more than the ETSX. Rocky Mountain is a very progressive company, but they know that when something works, they stick with it. It's not about marketing or the flavor of the month. I respect that.

Is it the BEST xc bike? Test one and see what you think.

Rocky Mountain Element TSC

Have fun shopping

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
Epic Mtn Biker said:
i rode & raced on GT Hardtails for 14 years. so when i went shopping for a XC racer i felt most at ease with the Epic to make the transition to FS with my style of riding
interesting because i had ridden and raced only hardtails cannondale f4000 & schwinn homegrown till 03 when the epic came out i went out and got the s-works with all the chi-chi lightweight stuff and hated it that ON / OFF feeling had me selling the bike 6 weeks later and i got a Titus Racer X loved the bike so much i sold my then unused homegrown HT. however...now I'm getting ready to sell the racer x and go back to hardtails with the scott scale bike :rolleyes:

I'll probably get me another racer x in the future but I've reached a point in my racing that for a race under 2 hours i want a light weight speedy bike for the marathon events 12/24 hr and general riding the racer x 100mm will be my weapon of choice

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
FrankBooth said:
interesting because i had ridden and raced only hardtails cannondale f4000 & schwinn homegrown till 03 when the epic came out i went out and got the s-works with all the chi-chi lightweight stuff and hated it that ON / OFF feeling had me selling the bike 6 weeks later and i got a Titus Racer X loved the bike so much i sold my then unused homegrown HT. however...now I'm getting ready to sell the racer x and go back to hardtails with the scott scale bike :rolleyes:

I'll probably get me another racer x in the future but I've reached a point in my racing that for a race under 2 hours i want a light weight speedy bike for the marathon events 12/24 hr and general riding the racer x 100mm will be my weapon of choice
And this, my friends, is what we call "fickle"

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you are looking for a light weight F/S

you should look at the King Supreme from Kona. That is the ultimate light weight XC bike. I got to test ride it at Interbike and the thing is stiff and light. You have to test ride a Kona to really appreciate those bikes. they just ride and handle better then most people think. 80mm up front and 2 1/2" in the rear. Sweet looking ride to. Plus not everyone has one of those.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.