Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best full squish 29er?

I have been riding full suspension bikes for years. When I decided to try the 29er thing I got a vassago banersnatch. I like the bike and I was able to try a 29er without too much of a dent in my wallet. I'm sold on the 29ers and am not going back to 26, but I miss the full suspension I was used to riding.

I am looking for a full suspension frame that is XC/race oriented. I'm not looking for a longer travel frame. I will be running a 100mm fork. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Titus Racer X (I've had three 26er Titus bikes in the past including a racer x so i am pretty familiar with them)
Niner Jet9
Ventana el ray

Any others I should look at?
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,607 Posts
mojo722 said:
What is the best full squish 29er?

I have been riding full suspension bikes for years. When I decided to try the 29er thing I got a vassago banersnatch. I like the bike and I was able to try a 29er without too much of a dent in my wallet. I'm sold on the 29ers and am not going back to 26, but I miss the full suspension I was used to riding.

I am looking for a full suspension frame that is XC/race oriented. I'm not looking for a longer travel frame. I will be running a 100mm fork. Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Titus Racer X (I've had three 26er Titus bikes in the past including a racer x so i am pretty familiar with them)
Niner Jet9
Ventana el ray

Any others I should look at?
Pretty hard to narrow down an exact "best" considering different strokes for different folks. But your list has a good start. I would add other shorter travel XC light frames such as Lenz Leviathan, HiFi Pro, and the older XC race full suspension frame from Ventana (had rider weight limit) can still be custom ordered from them.

I'm going with the JET 9 with an 80mm older offset REBA fork for a quick handling bike after 5 seasons on a Sugar 293 frame with the 100mm REBA.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
BruceBrown said:
I'm going with the JET 9 with an 80mm older offset REBA fork for a quick handling bike after 5 seasons on a Sugar 293 frame with the 100mm REBA.

BB
I thought the older reba's offset of 38mm would make for a slower steering ride than the newer 44mm offset, no??
 

·
friend of Apex
Joined
·
4,007 Posts
I just had a RacerX built up. I dont have anything to compare it to at this point, but I was also considering the Sultan. I just never found a smokin deal on one like I did the RXer.
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
yeah, I'd strongly consider the racer x on chainlove.com right now.
G
 

·
Pixie Dust Addict
Joined
·
3,366 Posts
I'd also look at the 2007-2008 Turner Sultan. Weight is in the ballpark of those three that you have listed. I've been very happy with mine as an endurance/XC racer. And the price on new 2008 frames is really good right now.
 

·
I can break anything
Joined
·
102 Posts
Anyone know much about the Salsa Big Mama?
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,607 Posts
kardy said:
I thought the older reba's offset of 38mm would make for a slower steering ride than the newer 44mm offset, no??
Not slower, but the 80mm will keep it XC quick. Although the JET 9 frame has the blessing from the Niner staff that it will work with a variety of forks, the 80mm REBA with the 38mm offset is - to my understanding - what the 2008 frame was designed around. The 44mm would most likely make it twitchy up front based on what I have read from everyone's experience and I hate twitchy. I can hop on a 26"er in my garage for that.:p Not to mention, I already own 3 REBA forks with the older offset.

All that being said - I'm sure one can make the frame handle just fine with whatever fork. I'm just going with what I own and am used to using.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Best 29er full squish...

When you guys get this question answered (once and for all), tell me who is the prettiest girl in the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
Can't answer your "Best" question, but if you're lookin at the Ventana then a glance at the Curtlo wont hurt...Curtlo uses the Ventana rear end and it's custom, but the Ventana can also be for a little extra cash.
 

·
There's always next year.
Joined
·
872 Posts
Tinshield said:
What? No Pivot 429 on the list????
I'd agree with that too. I just got mine recently, and while the frame's not the lightest out there, it's a FAST bike. While I've only been on mine for under three hours, its the stiffest frame I've ridden. And the suspension has been wonderful as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,233 Posts
I'd vote for the new RIP9, the new DWL Sultan, and next comes the Pivot. I have a 2008 RIP9 and a Titus Racer X 29er but if I had to pick one more right now, I'd probably go for the DW Link Turner Sultan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,165 Posts
padrefan1982 said:
I'd agree with that too. I just got mine recently, and while the frame's not the lightest out there, it's a FAST bike. While I've only been on mine for under three hours, its the stiffest frame I've ridden. And the suspension has been wonderful as well!
That's what I liked about it. It's laterally stiff like a HT and when you get up and hammer there is no bob whatsoever.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top