Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted similar questions before but wanted to re-phrase the question: What's the best frame/style for an "all-in-one" bicycle? By all-in-one I mean a bike that I can use to mountain bike and one I could swap out some slicks and use as a commuter bike (and perhaps a non-competitive MS150 type of ride).

I've narrowed down my choices to a 26er hardtail, 29er hardtail, or a full-suspension. I would guess that a full-suspension would be out of the question but maybe the technology has progressed since I used to mountain bike regularly some 10 years ago. I am considering only steel or titanium for the hardtail option. Honestly, I would love to purchase several bikes but I am constrained by the small space of my apartment. For the sake of this topic, let's assume that I have no other option but to purchase only one bike.

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Either size hardtail would be best -in my opinion.

Wether you get a 26, 29 or 650b is entirely up to what you like.

There's nothing wrong with using a full suspension bike as a commuter. I just don't like the extra wear in the pivots/rear shock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
FS with rear lockout??

It depends on how much of each you want to do. If you wanna commute 5 times a week and ride dirt once then i would go a hardtail (prolly 29 but depends on how tall you are) with two sets of wheels. If you reckon you will do 50/50 then maybe a full suspension?

·
Registered
875 Posts
How about a Rawland? http://www.rawlandcycles.com/ I've never ridden one, but they sure look cool. I can say, from my experience, 26 in wheels are terrible on the road. They just don't hold any momentum. I think you'd do better with either 650b or 700c (29er) wheels for road riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.