Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Oskar Blues - Dale's (almost I) PA

Votes: 11 29.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned some others onto the hoppy stuff over the weekend. Many had never tried anything darker than Bud Select. Some people really liked it, so much so they went a bit overboard and developed a loose lip.

I was later accused of beerboarding... a technique I employ on certain occasions.

So, what is the best local IPA for getting newbies into this kind of beer, and getting them to open their traps and say inappropriate things?

Think globally, buy locally. :thumbsup:

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SkaredShtles said:
This won't even be close...

You should've included the Bull-n-Bush Man Beer and GCB's IPA.
If they bottled them and were sold at DaveCo, I would have.

I lived a drunken stumble from Bull n Bush in college- great place, fabulous beer.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Geeez, without the Mountain Sun's FYIPA on there, I can't even bring myself to vote in the Poll...

·
Registered
54 Posts
some other honorable mentions

Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy - my 'usual'

Oskar Blues Gordon (closer to IPA than Dale's, IMHO). I think this is the best for beerboarding - it sure makes me loose lipped. Me love it. Darn expensive tho.

Estes Park Brewery Renegade

Fort Collins Brewery IPA

Avery Majahrahja (sp?) Imperial IPA

I would hope that DaveCo would stock these fine brews in addition to those mentioned above. That said, given the choices I voted for the Odell's.

Happy Beerboarding! :D

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Pfffft... Dale's on this list? As much as I do rather enjoy a cold can o' Dale's ev'ry nawnnagen, it's hardly in the league with the rest of those hop-monsters. That being said, it might be the best of the lot to introduce non-IPA lovers to the bitter-er side of the beer spectrum. Dale's is like IPA training wheels!

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
I was down at the Great Divide Tap Room last night with Ithnu and we had some of the Old Ruffian Barley Wine Style Ale - holy great balls of hops and awesomeness! Now I know it's not an IPA but it IS damn good, and it really made the DPA we had afterwards taste like weak-sauce wheat beer. DANG that stuff is strong!

·
Armchair Sasquatcheror
310 Posts
Gcb?

GCB is some of the best around, although as previously mentiones, not available as a PRU (portable refreshment unit)

Hercules 2x is a personal favorite and last night I had the Otis IPA at Wild Mountain in Nederland.

Last but not least, XXX from the Mountain Sun is fantasmic - although not available as a PRU.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Is that right at the brewery near Broadway?
Yes. Wander in, talk to Patrick, take a tour, drink beer. Arapahoe and 22nd, right there on that there corner, exactly 15.02 miles from my house according to my road bikey computer.

(Yes we rode 30 miles to drink beer last night... what can I say? I'm in training for RAGBRAI!)

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
Full Trucker said:
Yes. Wander in, talk to Patrick, take a tour, drink beer. Arapahoe and 22nd, right there on that there corner, exactly 15.02 miles from my house according to my road bikey computer.
Yeah - last time we tried the place was frikkin' CLOSED. :madman:

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Where can I buy that down here?
They just opened a new Pub at 17th & Vine in Denver. Not sure if they're brewing yet. Otherwise, you have to come to Boulder and fill up a growler.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Full Trucker said:
(Yes we rode 30 miles to drink beer last night... what can I say? I'm in training for RAGBRAI!)
I bet we rode more than that, seeing as how we got lost in the neighborhood for a while:p

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Ithnu said:
I bet we rode more than that, seeing as how we got lost in the neighborhood for a while:p
Well, the Cyclocompy 5000 said 28.somethingsomething this morning when I looked at it, and I think I actually made sure it was working the entire time we were riding for once! And we didn't get THAT lost... just a little bit lost.

PS - fix the quote to read "open" bar instead of "cash" bar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.