Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a Tora 318 Solo Air set at 100mm...its heavy and cheap...saving up for a new fork (may be a bit down the road, of until I find something I cant pass up)...Three best options I see are the Reba, the Fox F100 or the F120...is it worth the price to get the fox? (I cant lie...I really want the white fox to match my white SL)...Secondly...i dont ride anything too crazy, but Im not the smallest rider. My old bike had 5" travel with a DJ3, how much will it affect my handling if I go to the 120mm? I love how this handles, but at times wish it a little more plush on the rocky/rooty stuff...Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If its a somewhat newer SL, I'd go with F120. I love my F100 but its an older frame and apparently the older frames werent made for a 120 fork. Cant tell you anything about the Reba. Switching from my Marzocchi X-Fly to the F100 was the best thing I ever did to this bike.

G

·
I've got an 07 SL and I upgraded from a Tora 318 Air to Revelation 426 Air U-Turn 100-130. Really nice riding at 120-125. Well worth the upgrade. But if I had to do it over again and price was an issue I'd have the 318 spacer cut down so you're at 120. Way cheaper and the 318 rides really well, IMHO.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also looking to shed some weight...i figure the fox or reba is about a pound lighter...not that the tora rides that bad...but in the interum I may look at getting the spacer cut...appreciate the suggestion....

·
Registered
785 Posts
yes it's absolutely worth it to get a fox fork when you can afford one.....they are the industry leader when it comes to suspension....i run a 32 vanilla on my heckler, and i'll never rider any other fork now....i used to swear by marzocchi but all you hear now about their new stuff is problem after problem....yes fox has has some issues in the past, but currently they're top notch in my opinion....as for which fork to go with your superlight, i'd say go with the f120....the superlight geometry will handle it, and it's not going to raise the front end so much that it wont climb well.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Save your $$$--Get a RockShox Reba

I had an '06 Super with a 07 Reba World Cup (100mm) with carbon crown/steerer and this fork was awesome on this setup!! This fork was soooo light yet plenty of travel for more of a race setup.

·
Registered
231 Posts
F120 hands down

I'm running a talas 100-120-140 on my 07 SL. Seems I don't bother with changing the travel anymore... Set it at 120 and leave it. Little to no loss in climbing ability and better clearance / handling in the rough / rocky downs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive just ordered a superlight 08 and sticking Fox forks on for now just because i already have them from my old bike but i hope to get the Fox 120 forks when i get the money from selling my old frame. They seem to get rave reviews in all UK Mbike mags and i think the extra 20mm will help as follows: raises front end slightly which will reduce the mental head angles slightly for a more comfortable ride, plusher for faster riding and will raise Bottom bracket slightly too. The Fox 120 is only 70grams more than the fox 100 forks so no weight penalty really! If you want to race go with the 100mm but is for general riding then def the 120mm. Good luck.

·
Registered
785 Posts
scruzer_98 said:
I had an '06 Super with a 07 Reba World Cup (100mm) with carbon crown/steerer and this fork was awesome on this setup!! This fork was soooo light yet plenty of travel for more of a race setup.
dude the reba WC is atleast $100, if not $200 more than the f120....at LEAST....i just checked speedgoat.com and the F120 is $665 with a free headset, and the Reba Team air is 600....the team u-turn was $723, and at cambria bike, the WC was over $1000......fox owns rockshox any day imho...just spend the 65 bucks extra, and get a real fork....

·
Registered
141 Posts
The new Reba's are dope,but fox forks are so nice, super easy to dial in,and a lot tougher than they look.My new superlight will come with a 100r,but having the option of a 120 down the road is enough to ease my mind.If you got the bucks bang away.

·
live to ride
51 Posts
I've got an 06 Juliana (same as SL) and just upgraded to an 08 f100---a world of difference from my crappy manitou...definitely fork out (pun intended ;-) the cash for a new fox. i can only speak for the f100 but man; it is siiiiick! lighter, better handling. oh, and go w/the RLC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.