Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am late to the turner game but I absolutely love my 08 rfx. Picked up a nice used one and now I am hooked, this thing is solid and tracks awesome. Perfect for east coast rooty rocky stuff. I had read somewhere the best axle to crown which the bike was designed for but cant seem to find it. Anyone know this?

Have an older 66 light on the bike but am looking to lighten it up some. Was thinking a van36 coil cause I am not sure I want to go air. Anyone found the perfect fork for the rfx?

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Go lyrik with the dh Damper - plusher than a van 36 imho
+1 on the Lyrik. Every time I ride with someone on a Fox fork there seems to be a leak somewhere.

I've had great luck with a Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti on my RFX if you want to stick with a coil. The DH damper on the Lyrik coupled with the solo air spring so far has been the best "light" fork option I've ridden (different frame and a tapered steerer these days).

_MK

·
Registered
731 Posts
Geo for the 07/08 RFX was penned around a 535mm a-c fork: Turner RFX 2008. But if you search posts by "turnerbikes" on this forum, you'll find that DT knew and fully intended that more aggressive riders would run longer forks . . . up to and including, if I'm not mistaken, the Marz 66 line.

Anyway, I just went through my own version of "which fork" for an 08 RFX. Passed on the Marz 66 coils (listed 568mm a-c) because they're tanks and because I didn't want the added bottom bracket height. Looked seriously at the Marz 55RC3Ti coil (5.4lbs, 546mm for the 160mm models), the RS Lyrik RC2L/DH coil (5.4lbs, 545mm at 160mm), and the Fox VAN RC2 (5.2lbs, 545mm at 160mm). With a bigger budget, I was sold on a Lyrik RC2L u-turn coil. As it was, it came down to watching the classifieds for a deal, and I ended up with a factory-rebuilt VAN RC2 for four bills and called it a day.

Two notes: 1) take all of this with a grain of salt since I have -zero- hours on any of the forks mentioned above, and 2) having said that, I'd expect a 55, a Lyrik, or a VAN to pair very well with the RFX if you're wanting a coil that keeps you near Turner's spec'd geometry.

Odd thing: don't think I came across a single 535mm a-c fork in my search . . . closest were 10mm over, which knocks a bit off the HTA (not a bad thing, just fyi).

Have fun,

--Matt

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
I got my RFX from Turner in '08 as an Interbike demo and they built it with a Float 36. Never had a leak (@MK) or any problems. That bike, along with some friends who were progressing at the same time, did more to up my skill level than any I've ever owned....love that bike (although it is up for sale now). I liked the Float enough to put a new one on my '11 Spot.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Ive had the RFX with a Van36R for about 2 years, then another RFX with a Lyrik coil u turn (not the DH damper). Both forks are plush, although the Lyrik DH are reportedly plusher. I prefer the Lyrik, stiff, plush, has some damping control and travel adjust, and reasonable price.

·
Registered
456 Posts
55RC3Ti all the way. Lyrik 160 with DH damper works great, but few of my friends rides it and all of them had some reliability issues (mostly leaks from MissonControl top cap). Fox Van/Vanilla are by far the best working Fox's forks, but it still can't match Marzocchi in plushness and bottom out control. Fox is either plush or ready for big hits, with 55 you get both.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure the what the head angle and bottom bracket height are but it seems to handle fine with the 66 on it. Just too heavy and I have seen rfx builds close to 30 lbs. I think I will go with a 36 or lyric if I can find one used. Although I guess marzocchi has a trade in program which I will look into, I read the 55 was sorta a flop( maybe the older ones) and needed a lot of mods to make decent. I just want something that works right, so I guess that is either lyric or 36. Thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Coil Lyrik on my 6 Pack. Love it. Got some off-set bushings on the way to drop the BB at tad.

The leaky mission/motion control is easily fixed with a better after market o-ring. Mine was done 2 years ago and no leaks despite being stored upside down.

Love my 6 Pack. My 09 Spot is gathering dust....

May wait for the 12 5 Spot with the ISCG tabs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got a marzocchi 55 rc3 Ti on my `08 RFX,I also got a -1,5 degree headset from SaarG7
This is the best 160mm fork I have used
The slacker headangle is an improvement from stock in my opinion

Previously I have used a `07 Z1 rc2 Light and a `06 66 rc2 sl

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Late to the game here...but I've had a '08 36 talas, Z1 light and now a '06 66 light on my '08 RFX. I preferred the bike with the 36 on it, will probably put it back on. I did have one "run" on an '07 RFX with the Lyrik DH this summer and that would be my fork of choice for that bike...if I had any dough to spend...but I'm broke like a joke so making due with what's in the parts bins.

Brock...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I came from a TALAS 36 and switched to a Lyrik Coil with the floodgate removed. Such a big difference! Love the plush coil front.
Can you (or anyone else with experience) tell me more about the Lyrik Coil U-Turn with floodgate removed? this does not give you the DH damper, I'm assuming, but it seems to be somewhat of a compromise if you needd to keep the travel at 160mm, and want to go coil. It really sucks that allmost no one has a 160mm coil fork right now. Losing my mind right now, trying not to get a 160mm air fork. I weigh 220 pounds, and would like to try coil before air on my 5 Spot. Appreciate any and all help/insight.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Can you (or anyone else with experience) tell me more about the Lyrik Coil U-Turn with floodgate removed? this does not give you the DH damper, I'm assuming, but it seems to be somewhat of a compromise if you needd to keep the travel at 160mm, and want to go coil. It really sucks that allmost no one has a 160mm coil fork right now. Losing my mind right now, trying not to get a 160mm air fork. I weigh 220 pounds, and would like to try coil before air on my 5 Spot. Appreciate any and all help/insight.
It isn't the same as the DH damper; that one has a shimstack. The floodgate is effectively a platform so removing it removes the platform; you do lose quite a bit of low speed compression damping. Here is a link to the mod:
Totem/Lyrik Floodgate Mod Video - Pinkbike

_MK

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks MK. Man...it truly seems that everything is a compromise from what I really want. Why the. Sudden shift to 170mm coil forks by all these manufacturers. I'd do anything to be building this bike up a few years ago. Hate to spend almost $1000 for a fork I don't want. Any suggestions that trump the modded U-Turn Coil?

Oh, and pardon the typos. My phone's keyboard has a mind of its own.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.